"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Terwilliger Golf Tournament

Terwilliger Golf Tournament

Back row L to R cousin Tom, brother Mike, cousin Dave, Uncle Don
Front row My Love and my Dad
Missing my cousins Scott and Jeff

Missing but in their hearts you can be sure this weekend especially....
my Grandpa, Uncle Harold Lee and Uncle Dick


Part of the reason we headed to Minnesota Thursday night of last week was so that Scott could be there for the 5th Terwilliger Golf Tournament. If you haven't heard of this tourney on the PGA tour there is a good reason. This is a tournament that began in 1961 with my Dad and 2 of his older brothers, Dick and Don. (My uncle Harold Lee, his oldest brother, died while serving in the airforce when Dad was only 16, And my Uncle Dick has since passed away from cancer when I was in the 7th grade) It has not been held on a regular basis, as you can tell by this being the 5th year. This was the FIRST year they have had the tournament since Scott was part of the family...last time was 1993 pre-Scott. And considering most all of my cousins on the Terwilliger side are guys, and I am the only girl married he was the one and only non-"Terwilliger" blood there. Kind of neat.

They met up at the cabin on Friday...Scott rode up with my brother Mike and golfed Friday and then again Saturday morning. They had a great time. They scored the tourney based off of handicap and some other very complicated math stuff that I really don't like, care about or need to know the details of. Scott was surprised to find out he won...so the trophy will be passed on.

A wonderful tribute to the Terwilliger boys I think....and to my Grandpa Twig most of all! (yes Twig is short for Terwilliger and was all of our nicknames growing up...or Twigs was the feminine version evidently as that is what my guy friends called me) I think it's wonderful when you leave a legacy behind like my Grandparents did....and the tradition will continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment