"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, August 17, 2009

Corn and Jobs

I am taking a break from cutting fresh corn off the cob and putting into freezer bags for the winter. Scott husked a BUNCH of it for me and it has been waiting in baggies in the freezer today for me to freeze it. So I have started the task. Have another batch cooling and it will be time to cut it off too. We LOVE having sweet corn fresh in the winter and thanks to Scott's customers and friends we have loads of corn now.

As I am cutting it I am also very thankful for Scott's job. Monsanto is in the mode of letting people go right now...and today it hit his office. 4 guys were spared and he was one of the 4. Although he never seems to worry about his job, or a job, I will admit sometimes I do. I am grateful he is the way he is though, steady steady steady in everything. Lord knows I need that in a husband as I am NOT so steady. :) (A little more emotional in case you didn't realize that) But he never worries about his job, not that it cannot be taken away at any moment but it is not his focus in life. It is what it is, a job, not who he is, not his life, not his family, not his friends, not his health or ours, certainly not the most important thing in his world...it is a job. Though important and critical to have...it is a job. He always tells me to keep that in perspective, you can get a new job. May not be what you want, the same money or location, same lifestyle but it is a job. He loves his job but most of all he loves his job because of the friendships and relationships they have allowed him through the years. He treasures those and takes those to heart. He develops and nurtures those. Smart, smart man..and who he really is.

I love that he is the way he is, that he values his relationships more than his job. That as hard of a worker as he is and as important of a value as that is, it isn't life. God, family, friends...way override a job to him.

But as I cut corn, I am thankful.

3 comments:

  1. Ben is the exact same way. He never worries about money, his job, nothing. It is very good for me because um, I worry just a little..or a LOT. :)

    Grateful we both have such wonderful, caring husbands who put up with our worrying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note and more importantly, the prayers. No news to report in re) to my job. Had the HR gal request four references to contact last week, but that's the last I have heard. Hoping and praying for good news, focusing on what God has in store. He knows better than me. SO glad to hear and see in the baseball pics that your dad is okay--it is such a blessing that your mom was there. Bee proof suit for Christmas? Hope you are feeling well, happy corn cutting. :)

    ReplyDelete