"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, August 14, 2009

No more emergencies today please

We were enjoying an afternoon by the pool today when my phone rang, it was my brother Mike. My Dad was in the hospital in Brainerd, by the cabin. He was emptying clippings from the mower and stepped onto a hive of wasps. Dad is terribly allergic to bees and wasps. If one stings him his throat swells shut and he cannot breathe. You can imagine what happens when 8 sting him at once. He barely made it up to the cabin and PRAISE THE LORD my Mom was home at the time. All he said was "I was stung" and then he passed out struggling to breathe. Mom called 911 right away and tried to get a couple of neighbors but no one was home...she walked outside and yelled HELP and luckily there was a neighbor who heard her and came running. He did the EPI pen to try to help Dad, it was expired. For those of you who need EPI pens or have kids that do make sure they are up to DATE.

Long story short....911 got there and he was really struggling. Makes me cry thinking about it. But again praise GOD that the paramedics got there in time, didn't need to airlift him, got more meds in him and stabilized. He is fine now, in the hospital overnight due to the drop in blood pressure he had when struggling so. I just talked to him now a few minutes ago and he says he feels fine. SCARY...we have got to come up with another plan for him at the cabin with bees. That is the one place he gets stung and it only happens once every 7-8 years but every time the reaction is worse. and if Mom wouldn't have been there....don't talk about that. I am thanking God for His protection of Dad.

10 minutes latee got a call from Dr's office for Drew. I had taken him in on Monday as he has been so tired the last 2 weeks. I was concerned and football and school start next week. He is signed up for tackle this year which is 4 practices a week 2 hours a day...so a LOT. I wanted the reassurance from Dr. Jon that he was fine. Something in this Mommy gut said things weren't right. Dr. Jon said he would run some blood labs, checking for diabetes, leukemia, mono etc. I got the call Wednesday that all tests were back and fine other than mono that would be later. Well later was today, Drew's mono has been "reactivated". UGH...I didn't know he could get mono again. But evidently you can. So no contact sports for 3-4 weeks. Well Scott and I talked and decided NO football. Forget the whole season. It isn't worth risking his health to try it in 5 weeks.

So pray for Drew, he is sad. It was going to be his first year of tackle and he LOVES football so much. He will now love it from the sidelines with his team. But he is a sad boy about it.

...and please pray for my Dad, praise that he is okay and prayer that he stays well tonight in the hospital. He was pleased for the golf tournament and the Vikings/Colts game on TV today and tonight. :)

and please...no more calls today regarding emergencies or test results. I've had my share of emotions this afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. That was a whole lot of emotion I felt in one post. So thankful your dad is okay and feeling terrible for Drew. No football, tired again, school starting. Glad he's okay though and it was nothing more. Great to see you at the pool today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord that He kept your dad safe. Great lesson on how God is ALWAYS in control and never leaves us.

    ReplyDelete