"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Window screens and my Mom

Why is it that every spring when I put my screens in the windows I think of my Mom?  I know...because when I was little I was always her screen helper.  (I use the word "always" loosely Mom)  But I do remember year after year wiping down the screens with her.  I can STILL SEE so vividly my bedroom window, and my Mom talking to me while we wiped down the screens.  I remember the goofy little triangle shaped things we had to use to put the screens into the windows and lock them in.  We were always short at least one for each window, but we made it work with 2-3 of the 4 they required.  The yellow floral fabric on the walls until I was older and then the Laura Ashley pink, balloon curtains...remember it all like a picture.  

Out of one of my windows was the backyard, terraced with woods and a pond.  And out of the other window was my favorite pussy willow tree which we would cut twigs off of in the spring and put on the kitchen table, always.

I need to remember that now as a Mom to 3 little boys, there are memories just like these that the boys will remember when they get older.  Something that probably seemed so little to my own Mom, something she probably just wanted help with...is something that to this day makes me tear up thinking of those happy times with Mom.  

Love you Mom and am loving putting screens in the windows.  

1 comment:

  1. Your post was an imporant one to me today because after a day of being incredibly impatient to my children, I definitely don't want that to be what they remember. I need to "put some screens in" around here. Thanks for your good word.

    ReplyDelete