"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, April 18, 2009

What sport are we playing?

As I mentioned in earlier posts this week...baseball games are starting and everything is kicking into high gear.  Well guess what?  It's already time to think about signing up for football.  Yes FALL football sign ups, the deadline is May 1st if you can believe that.  

Our boys have played flag football since they were 5 years old and have always loved that.  We had always said we would wait for tackle football until it was a school sport in 7th grade (you can start tackle in 3rd grade in Waukee).  Tommy has had no desire to play tackle but Drew has toyed with the thought off and on.  Well the real kicker for him this week has been that 3 of the coaches of the ONE football team he has wanted to be on are all Dad's of good friends of his, and those buddies all play tackle.  They are Dad's that are more laid back than MOST tackle football coaches, don't make them practice in the rain, don't do the crazy 3 hour a night practices...they are reasonable, realistic Dad's who have lives and family outside of youth sports.  And trust me, there aren't a lot of those in youth sports in Des Moines!

They have been asking Drew to come and play with them next year...selling him on how they need another BIG kid (which Drew eats up), how much their sons want him to play with them, how they could use him as a running back or tight end (which means little to nothing to me and my football knowledge)...but Drew has been tossing it around since last fall when he went to some of their games.  Well the kicker came when they told him today, we need another coach and we would like your Dad to coach Drew.  Drew was IN!  If his Dad can be one of the coaches....sign him up for about anything.  (of course I did run it all by our pediatrician when I saw him last night at the benefit...and he assured me that tackle at his age should be fine, they don't go real fast with all of the pads, and he very well could be safer there than in flag with no pads)

I do remember my brother played tackle football when we were in elementary school and he survived.  His coach was CRAZY and my Dad was the assistant coach which was entertaining...not that my Dad isn't a great coach, or didn't know football, he played college ball BUT more that my Dad is a mellow guy who just wanted the kids to have fun.  And this other coach was PSYCHO about it ALL.  He would fit in well to today's sports crazed parents.  I cannot remember the guys name...which is odd since he is kind of the measure we have used for years for crazy coaches.  Mike...Dad...what was his name?  Coach Lennon?

I digress sorry....

Pray for us as we determine if this is the right move for Drew.  4th grade tackle makes me nervous, but the Dad's that are coaching, are some of the best guys I know.  They know me and they know Drew and have his best interest at heart.  And the Dr. did okay it....

ugh...




1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping if Seth wants to play football he will be the kicker. :) he's pretty little. Though those clutch kicks to win the football game might give me ulcers!

    ReplyDelete