"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, April 13, 2009

Mom's 70th, Benson, Easter, the Farm....


We had a full weekend.  We left early Saturday morning to head to Benson MN, where my Grandma Lu lives.  It is about 2.5 hours from Mpls so it was about a 6 hour drive from here. The boys were so excited.  

We got to Grandma's in time for her yummy, homemade sloppy joes for lunch.  My big brother Mike, Cara, Charlie and Alice were already there as well as my Mom and Dad.  Jack couldn't get out of the car fast enough to see Charlie.  I couldn't help but cry when I saw sweet Alice WALKING!  We hadn't seen them since Christmas which is a really long time it seems.  

Charlie (5) and Jack (6)...the best of friends and cousins

On Grandma Lu's deck with the Terwilligers and Shislers

After lunch we drove out to my Uncle Mick's farm.  It is the same farm where my Grandma Lu lived when we were little so it has this wonderful feeling of home to me.  Although the house has changed, they have added a garage, the horses are no longer there...the land is so familiar to me.  I feel like I am 6 years old again running around in her yard.  I don't know how to explain it but it is such a happy place for me.  I have so many wonderful memories of the farm and Grandma living on it...the cool bottom drawer in the bathroom filled with the most wonderful bath toys, the metal swingset, the smell of her burn barrel, the garden, the barn where the horses once were, the kittens that were everywhere.  I remember playing in the yard with my cousins, running around, playing house, playing in the little pool...it just takes me right back to being a little girl.  Uncle Mick and my cousin Andy got all of the toys out, the 4 wheeler, front loader, gator...all of them and we had a blast playing with them all.

On the farm playing with the toys

That night we had a birthday celebration in honor of March and April birthdays.  We all went out to eat...14 great grandchildren under the age of 12.  It was so busy.  The waitress was so sweet, she was a little older and she just kept saying to me, you have the most wonderful family.  What wonderful people.  You are all so kind.  It has been a pleasure serving you all.  It was so sweet.  She even gave me a hug as we left and as I was apologizing for leaving the room like a tornado just blew threw it.  So much fun.  

Great Grandma Lu and 14 of her 18 Great Grandchildren

Sunday morning was Easter.  After the boys woke up at 6:15 am in the hotel...ahem.  (a little early for this Mom)  We had breakfast with the cousins who were all at the hotel and quick popped over to my Grandma's to wish Mom a happy 70th and sing to her before church.  We filled 2 1/2 pews at church and Grandma Lu was in all her glory.  I could see it in her face...despite the chaos of all the little kids moving, up and down, coloring, whispering, talking, crawling on the floor...etc...she didn't notice a bit of it.  You could tell her heart was so content.  She had 3 of her 4 kids home, she had 14 of her 18 grandchildren in town...her cup was overflowing.  She didn't mind the craziness.  She sat between my Mom and Tommy with one of the most content faces I have ever seen.


All the kids on Grandma Lu's step...looking into the sunshine...

The Shislers, Mom and Dad, and the Terwilligers

We celebrated Easter and our risen King at her house after church.  All of us...thanks to Butch Behrens who catered it and is a good friend of the family, we were able to relax and not think about the food.  We just had fun.  The little cousins all got along wonderfully...the big cousins did too and we had moments to catch up.  6 of Grandma's 9 grandchildren were there.   There was a lot of laughter.  An Easter egg hunt for the little guys, thank you Aunt Sandy for coordinating that effort.  And even some time to celebrate Mom's 70th with yet another cake.  

Happy 70th Birthday Mom!


Me with Sweet baby Alice

Charlie and Poppy in their matching shirts and ties


My favorite from the whole time was little Jack...Mike had Alice and they were walking while we waited for our food on Saturday night...Jack, Charlie and Soren followed Mike out and as they were walking Jack put his arms around the 2 other boys and patted them saying "Good Times...Good Times".  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Good times...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! Adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of the sweet stories about your weekend, but especially about your grandma's happiness to have you all in church with her. So precious for you all to be there with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Jack's comment... "Good times". He says the cutest things!! Sounds like you had a very special weekend.

    ReplyDelete