"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, April 6, 2009

24 hour box

In cleaning off and organizing book shelves this weekend I ran across my favorite books on ORGANIZING!  Okay I am an organizer at heart, and I really wish my house could look like Martha Stewart was just here ALL the time.  But reality hits and then I realize with 3 boys that is probably not realistic.  (hmmm actually 4 boys if you count Scott)  When I was in 6th grade I even decided that I would take over cleaning for my Mom.  I announced to my big brother and big sister that on Saturdays we would ALL now be cleaning our rooms, bathroom and downstairs for her....it maybe lasted 2 weeks.  I think I stuck in awhile longer...but my sister and brother didn't think my idea was so thrilling.  So I will admit I go on these organizing and cleaning binges...

BUT... I did find a great tip in one of my books that was written by a Mom and just informed the boys of it.  It's call the 24 hour box.  SO if I find something on the floor, not put away etc it goes in the 24 hour box.  The boys can check that box (basket) as often as they would like and return the item to its rightful home.  IF the item is still in the box after 24 hours it disappears!  Donation or else if it is something more spendy it may be re-gifted at a birthday or Christmas to them.  Sounds a little harsh yes, BUT, I think it will work.  The mom in the book said it only took one thing for each child to disappear and they didn't do it again.  They checked the box faithfully and were sure to put things away.  With an 11, 9 and 6 year old I don't think it is unrealistic.  So I am giving it a whirl.

In the meantime we are purging and sorting all sorts of toys in the basement this week.  It is our project that WILL get done by Saturday!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Love that idea! My version is walking through the room with a garbage bag and watching my kids scream and dash to pick up their stuff as quickly as possible. There are tears involved sometimes, too, as they see things enter the "time-out for a long time" bag! :) Your idea might be a more peaceful way to go about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling you, girl - we are always on the same page! I just called Steve yesterday and said I wanted to simplify the entire house before the end of spring. Love the 24-hour box idea - I'll be steaing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea. The kids here know that if I have to pick up toys they have been asked to pick up, the toys become mine for awhile. They usually run right over and pick it up. The box might have to be put in place here.

    When we would spend summers with my grandma, she would have a box of stuff that was collected and we would have to wait to get stuff out of it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay friends...the basement playroom, closet and main floor sunroom w/ toys are now cleaned and organized. Toys all put in their rightful home. The 24 hour basket begins...it's in the pantry. Boys have ALL been forewarned. :) Pray this works. It will make for a much happier Mommy and as I told the boys, many more options for them to have friends over if I KNOW they can keep it cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete