"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, September 18, 2009

My notes

When I was a little girl I saw that my Dad always left my Mom a note on the counter when he left for work. I didn't realize it at the time but I found a lot of joy, security and comfort out of reading the notes my Dad left for her, I always read them, she left them there all day long. Usually on a sticky note.

When Scott and I were married, and after 2 weeks of a honeymoon we settled into real life in Omaha. And he left for work before I ever did. And it took about a week of marriage at home until I realized I missed reading my Dad's notes to my Mom and that I WANTED to have a note to wake up to every morning as well. Scott had been great about sending cards and notes while we were dating but now we were married. It was one of those early on in marriage conversations we had...I told him, less than a month into it, that I really wanted to wake up to a note from him every morning if he was going to leave before he saw me. And he agreed and said that would be an easy thing to do, and if it was something I wanted and needed he would do it.

So here we are, almost 15 years later, and this was my note from Wednesday. He and Tommy had gotten home late on tuesday and Scott had to be in NE early Wednesday morning...

It has been sitting on the corner of the counter ever since, the boys read the notes their Dad leaves for me and I am guessing there will be 3 young men leaving notes for their wives someday and carrying on the tradition their Dad has done for me, and my Dad did for my Mom.

Love those and save many of them...


P.S. More info on the notes: Many times my Dad would leave me a note on my pillow, or by my bed as I got older and he wasn't there to tuck me in at night. My Mom wrote notes to me often too, always in my lunches for school. I try to remember that with our boys, Drew keeps every note I send in his lunch box so I KNOW that the little things, mean a lot.

4 comments:

  1. More tears. That is so..I can't think of the word that describes this...so...wonderful. Wonderful doesn't seem to do it justice but that's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I'm with Makila. Doesn't seem to be a word right now to describe it. I love that the boys are reading and taking note, too. There's no doubt in my mind that those young gentlemen will grow up to be note-leavers. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little things do mean the most! It's a joy to see the great love you share in your family. Have a wonderful weekend together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love that--maybe I need to ask John to do the same. I am a fan of a note. I used to write him a love note everyday on a napkin in his lunch. When he switched jobs and had all his "office stuff" was packed in a box, I found the stack of like 200 love napkins. I thought that was so sweet that he saved them, just like Drew. Now he eats out most days... but I would happily reverse roles and have a napkin left for me on the counter.

    ReplyDelete