"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Mike!









Today is my big brother Mike's birthday. He is 39 years old, MUCH older than I am, well...at least for 16 more days he is. (we are 12 months 16 days apart, my poor Mom)

I adore my brother, he has been a rock in my life. It was almost like growing up with a twin. Everywhere we went everyone thought, and some still do, that we were twins (Mom dressing us alike didn't help) Of course, as we got older, Mike feared we looked more like boyfriend/girlfriend walking around together and he didn't think that was so great!

We had a great childhood together, our bedrooms were right across the hall from each other and we were at the very end of the hall so away from everyone else it seemed. That lent for some late night chats, more pranks than you can imagine, my sneaking in his room at night to sleep under his bed so I wouldn't be alone in my cold room. It was great!

We played together most every day...most of the kids on our street were boys so I was able to play some football, PIG, HORSE, catch salamanders, go sledding, head down to the local ice rink 2 blocks away...lots of things with Mike and his neighborhood buddies. Of course when it was time for me to go to Kindergarten he boldly asked me to walk 10 feet behind him...hmmm not so sweet. Of course now he feels terrible about that.

High school came and our friends overlapped a lot...I was the one who asked Mom and Dad for money when I went out. And they always wondered why Mike never asked for any, only I did...hmm well he would find me at night, at a friends and then ask me to pay for his late night Domino's pizza. Tricky huh? We shared cars, and never fought about that...drove each other wherever we needed. Drove to school together him drinking mt Dew and me my Coke Classic. Healthy starts to our days.

Don't get me wrong...my family certainly had their bumps as we grew up. We have learned the true value a sibling relationship has in your life. The precious gift those relationships are, and we have walked on the journey together. I will say that my brother and I learned to stick together like glue, we learned through hard days to count on each other. More than ever. And that has never gone away. EVER! I can tell when I hear Mike's voice if something is going on...to this day. I know he can me too.

I don't really have many memories of childhood that don't include my brother. He was there in it all. He was the ultimate protector of me, and I knew that. He would stand up for me NO matter what, elementary school he did, Jr High he did and on and on. He was very particular on who I dated and had no issue sharing his opinions on that with me. He had 3 main qualifications for the man I would marry...they should be LOYAL (to their team, to their faith in God, to their family,especially to their Mom), they should be a GENTLEMAN (open doors, pay for meals, treat me like a queen) and they couldn't be a PRETTY BOY (think that would be someone who puts themselves above me :) ) And guess what...I got all of that in Scott. :)

I will say...that going through ALL we have in the past 37 years, has made us both stronger people. And I KNOW I can count on him for whatever life brings.

Mike is now the proud husband to Cara and Dad to Charlie and Alice...we treasure each and every one of them.


Love you Mike...Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment