"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, September 5, 2011

Mayo Report

Thursday, Mom, Max and I headed to Mayo.  We first met with an Endocrinologist who specializes in the Pituitary Gland, Dr. Vella.  He was excellent.  It was pretty amazing to talk with someone who knows more about the gland than anyone I had ever met.  He was reassuring and ordered some blood work to be done.

We then headed to the blood lab and had the blood draws done, which is NEVER easy with my veins...even at Mayo they had to call in the "top" blood folks to get the blood out.  lovely huh?  After the blood labs we headed to have breakfast, FINALLY after fasting all morning, and met my Uncle Mick and Aunt MaryAnne as he was due for a stint on Friday.  Small world huh?

After breakfast it was time for a late morning nap for our littlest trooper Max, so we decided to drive around Rochester some.  We drove by our old house, which didn't look like it was being terribly well cared for...but still fun to drive around the old neighborhood.  We lived there from 1997-1999.  Tommy was born at Mayo so some special memories of that town.  Max took a great nap in the car.

We then headed back into Mayo for a late lunch and a meeting with the Chief of Neurology, Dr. Meyer. Another amazing, kind and brilliant Doctor.  He was very laid back and very personable.  He said he meets with 5-6 people a day with my exact condition.  He does the surgery weekly and made it sound like the surgery was as easy as making pudding.  He assured me that the surgery had very few risks and was easily done through entering through the sinus cavity and right into the brain that way.  36 hour hospital stay is all it requires normally.   MUCH less major than we had been told by our Dr. here in Des Moines.   He said if this tumor worries me to schedule surgery now and if it is something that I don't worry about, to wait until max is a little bigger and things settle down a little with the busyness of my life.  In the next few years.  He said he would like to see me a year from now and we can follow it annually, if it doesn't grow we can continue to wait a while and if it grows, he will take it out.  Surgery is imminent it's just a matter of timing.

From there we headed back to see Dr. Vella, the endocrinologist and get the lab results from him.  My hormone levels etc were all normal.  The tumor is not affecting my hormones in any way at this time, which is good news.  He was such a nice man, and so sweet to Max.  He even opened up some pictures to show us his family, and his nephew Max that lives in Scotland.  :)

So all in all great news, we knew surgery would have to happen at some point but to be at a place like Mayo where they specialize in this area was pretty wonderful.  That place runs like a well oiled machine.  I plan on going there annually and they will do my MRI, my blood labs and I can meet with both Dr's all in the same day.

Max was the hit of the day, there are not a lot of kids around Mayo, well the areas we were in at least...so he waved and smiled at all of the people all day.  I was one of the youngest around which made him for sure the youngest they saw all day.  He was a real trooper.  We headed back to my parents on Thursday late afternoon.  It was a long day, starting at 5:30 am but well worth the trip.  

4 comments:

  1. Susan, I am so happy to hear that everything went well for you. We were thinking of you last week. I wish we could have seen you and Max.
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful to hear your good report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your update and that it's not affecting your hormones. Love your positive spin on everything - it's a gift you have! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so behind on my blog reading that I am just getting here. I am so glad for the explanation and glad the surgery sounds "easier" than you thought.

    I wish the surgery was here though so I could come see you and keep you company. Might have to make a drive to see you!

    ReplyDelete