"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, September 9, 2011

Magazines and Psalms

I have decided today I just do not get magazines read...therefore I am done subscribing to them.  They will all expire at some point.  Between these 4 busy boys of ours, a husband who travels, my bible study, my new very own book club, blogs on my iPad, pinterest...there just is not time in my life for magazines.  As I was cleaning out my magazine basket today, which I will need to keep some for in there because it's a very cute basket....I realized I was catching up on 8 months worth of magazines for the most part.  In one 45 minute nap of Max's I was flipping through and skimming through them.  I ripped out about 4 different things from a pile of 30 magazines.  Obviously NOT a necessity in my life.

I am obviously in fall clean out mode, and fall SIMPLIFY mode.  It does make me happy right now, to purge, organize and start fall fresh.  I keep reading organizing blogs and it almost makes me cry...oh how I would LOVE to have things stay clean and organized.  Oh well, it's not where life is right now.  And of course my Mom thinks I am THE most organized person she knows...oh it's nice she hasn't a clue how to read or find a blog on her computer.  We will just let her keep thinking that.  :)

I did run across an article in my LIFE BEAUTIFUL magazine, which I loved.  It was entitled "The Prison of Want" by Max Lucado...oh it was a good one for me to read today.  It made the "cut" to be torn out.  It talked about being content with where we are right at this very moment, the messy house, the stress of the economy, the busyness of life...to just be content.  It It reminded me that in the bible David writes about the secret of satisfaction in Psalm 23, how many times have I recited it and not "heard" the first line...."The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall NOT BE IN WANT".  hmm boy did I hear that loud and clear today.  It's not even just about "stuff"...it goes so much deeper.  Another great verse in the article was Phillippians 4:11-12 NCV  "I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have...I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty."  The article goes on the say it isn't about the stuff it's also about our circumstances and wanting those to change.  Perhaps wanting a baby to sleep through the night?  hmmm always something we want.  silly really....will a more organized drawer really provide happiness, well maybe a little...but not really.  :)

So while I try to balance the desire to clean, organize and simplify...God brought me right back with this article today. I think he is trying to tell me something huh?!

2 comments: