"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Camping, Shisler style



The family eating dinner, Max MOST excited that he gets an entire
graham cracker since Mom forgot his baby food.(thanks Jen for the fun family photo)


Last night was the annual Camp Dontwannamissit at Des Moines Golf. You ride out to the driving range (on golf carts) and camp out there. (I told you it was camping, Shisler style, not really roughing it) We got there around 6:30 last night to set up camp. The tent took a little bit of time to remember how to set it up. We set up camp by our friends the Duricks and also the Mars. We knew storms were a possibility in the night but we thought we'd give it a try anyway. (Max, Drew and I were not planning on staying...Max and I, well we aren't much for camping and Drew's allergies have been so BAD the past 2 weeks we didn't think sleeping outside was a great idea for him either) We stayed and set it all up, had the BBQ dinner buffet and some yummy smores. With the first mosquito bite on my face after dinner, I decided it was time for Max and I to exit. We happily came home to the ac and comfy beds. Scott brought Drew home about an hour later.

Scott and Steve figuring out the tent set up

Jack LOVES the tent


Drew showing Max the tent


The boys



Tommy, umm well hanging out I guess

Around 4:10 am I heard people coming in the house, and simultaneously heard thunder and saw the lighting and I knew my campers were home. They had woken up around 3:45 to Steve Durick telling them hail and 70 mph winds were heading our way. They abandoned the tent and drove the 1 mile home.

7:30 this morning they headed back for the campers pancake breakfast and to take the tent down and pack it back up. (Tommy didn't make it back he slept til 9:00 in his bed instead) I think one of Drew's highlights was driving the golf cart loaded up this morning by himself, well following Mr. Durick.

The boys had a great time despite the crazy sleep stuff. They played kick-the-can and flashlight games, and hide n seek and football with our friends. Loved the giggling and laughing as they ran around. Maybe someday, then again maybe not, but maybe someday I will spend the night with them there. They loved it.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the family picture. :) Loved it.

    I need to get graham crackers again for Gracelyn. I keep forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it, love it.

    Glad you had such a wonderful time! The memories will be golden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the family picture! And the entire story really :) I'm not so good at "roughing it" in the outdoors... I much prefer to camp at a resort :)

    ReplyDelete