"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, October 30, 2009

A teary Mom, some pumpkins and a happy Jet Fighter


It is Beggar's Night in Iowa. The only place in the world I have ever heard of this...everywhere else does Trick or Treat on Halloween. Oh well, when in Iowa, do as the Iowans do.

Jack is really our only trick or treater this year. Drew went for the first few houses with Jack and then decided he wasn't up for it. Tommy was home handing out candy and that got a little boring I guess... he just decided to run out and catch up with Jack and Dad and get some candy.

As of this morning Jack was going to be a hamburger, we had found a cute hamburger costume last October at PB kids to use for this year. But in the last few months he has asked to be a Star Wars character, anyone would do, he even had gone so far as to make one out of construction paper that he has worn around the house the last month taped together.

The costume he made out of construction paper earlier this month

We had said no to buying a Star Wars costume since we had the other costume, and I wasn't all that into him being a Star Wars character.

BUT this morning after he went to school, and after the older boys had informed me they didn't want to dress up...I caved. I figured there are so few years you WANT to dress up for Halloween. And those years have gone too fast for Tommy and Drew. I actually got a little teary about it and ran the idea by Scott...he was all for me going out and getting him the costume Jack had wanted. So as of 9:15 this morning I ran to the costume store in the hopes I could find a Star Wars costume. I found a few and the Jet Fighter Pilot one seemed like the perfect choice. He could pretend he was Luke Skywalker, the Jet Fighter Pilot. I even bought a lite saber, a first for this house of boys.

After school I surprised him with it...he was in SHOCK. Should have taken a picture of his face when I handed it to him. So cute. Loved the moment.

Think the smile says it all...



Drew and Jack requested to carve their pumpkins...Tommy opted out of that venture.

Scooping out the guts...
Drew concentrating on his pumpkin project


The Storm Trooper face...Tommy and Baby's pumpkins and Drew's OSU Block O

We ate a Jack O'Lantern Pizza for dinner and Luke, the Jet Fighter Pilot is out in the wind and rain smiling from ear to ear collecting candy.



It's a happy evening....

3 comments:

  1. Love it, Susan. :) I feel like I caved buying the Superman costume, too. Now, after reading your post, I'm especially glad that I did. It makes me sad to think of the day when my kids aren't going to want to dress up anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it. I think it's hard to find boy costumes now that the boys are out of the cute animal phase. I went to Target to look for something for Seth. We don't watch Indian jones, Star Wars, Spiderman, etc at our house so while he probably knows about them from school, I didn't think he should dress up for halloween as those. Seth was thrilled with the banana costume I found but I wonder what next year will bring.

    I remember the hamburger costume from PBK. So cute. Maybe Jack will wear it next year and you can dress the baby up as french fries to go with him. :) OR A FROSTY!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are going to see Jack in that outfit A LOT!!! So cute and I am so proud that you caved and bought it for him!

    ReplyDelete