"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, April 29, 2013

Surprise Ride

Saturday morning I woke Scott up at 6:00 am and told him to get dressed...we were headed out on a Surprise RIDE.  Surprise Rides are something we have done for YEARS with the boys, throw them in the car and we head out without them knowing where we are going.  Well I decided that Scott deserved a Surprise Ride.  He has been so EXTRA helpful and patient since my surgery, and I planned a little quick get away.

I woke up Jack and Drew and told them we were leaving and that there were instructions on the counter as to the plan for the day.  NO one knew anything.  Tommy and Max were still asleep when we left.

Our first stop was...
Bob Evans for breakfast...his very favorite.  They are based out of Ohio.  
The one we ate at was north of Kansas City about 20 minutes.

 Then to the Plaza in Kansas City, where it was chilly and 
sprinkling but beautiful to see tulips everywhere.
 (so this part of the day may have been a little bit for me)

Patiently waiting on the sofa in my favorite Anthropologie Store while I looked around...

Burgers and Milk Shakes at one of his favorites...Winsteads by the Plaza.  

Back to the hotel to check in, I took a little cat nap.  He worked on his computer, should have left that at home hmmm....but I knew he would NOT want to be away from it.

Then onto the highlight of HIS trip and day.  Watching the Cleveland Indians play the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium.




 One of my favorite things about Scott is his passion for his teams...and his ease at talking with strangers.  This gentleman sat in front of us and was 75 years old, there with his 2 grown sons and a lifelong Indians fan, they talked off and on all game about the Indians.  It was fun to watch them.  

 Here we are...cold and chilly...Scott banged his head last week on the nightstand in his sleep, poor guy wounded.  Thankfully they allowed blankets in the stadium so I could be bundled. 



 We both got a new pair of shoes at the North Face store...here they are with all of our peanuts.  What's a baseball game without hot dogs (or brats) and peanuts?

 What a fun night, and Mom I didn't even ask to leave early.  Scott was proud!

I love this man...it was fun to surprise him and give him a special day.  We spent the night in a hotel, met good friends of ours (the Haltermans) for brunch in the morning and headed back home.  

The boys had fun with some church friends...the daughter is a Junior in High School and their son a freshman in college.  Between the two of them....they did a terrific job caring for our boys.  The boys LOVED having them there and I don't think we were missed much at all.

The funniest part...when we got home we were in the car together all of us, headed to a friends for a dinner...and Jack says "So what did you do on your trip?  Make out?"  Tommy and Drew about threw up in the car with their moans and groans over that comment...Jack laughed and laughed. I high fived him and laughed almost as hard as Scott.  Classic Jack.  

It matters who you marry....I feel blessed.

2 comments:

  1. So fun. So special. So glad you got a weekend away with Scott. You both deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing at Jack's comment and then really laughed at the high five you gave him. Classic.

    And I need to see your new shoes. Look so cute.

    ReplyDelete