"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Inspiration

So this was one of the very first things I read this morning...and I loved it.  Wanted to share it.  There are days that are more overwhelming than others as a Mom.  That's the reality.  Being a Mom is the best job I have ever had, and the hardest.  Mother's day is coming up...what a great reminder this was to me.

Written by Glynnis Whitwer

Help for Overwhelmed Moms...


Having three little boys in less than four years just about did me in.  Life was hard when they were small.  All the whining, crying and complaining … and then there were the children …
In my devotion today I told about a phase in my parenting when I reached out for help.  But that wasn’t how I handled motherhood at first.  Before I explain, I’d like to welcome any readers who are here for the first time after reading my Encouragement for Today devotion.  I’m so glad you’re here.   Please keep reading for some great giveaways that will encourage moms.  But first, let me take you back to the early years of being a mom.
Back then, I refused to admit that having children changed my life.   Crazy, I know.  But I wanted to keep doing all the things I used to do before children.   In fact, I secretly took pride in being able to do a lot no matter what it cost all of us.  So I dragged those little boys here and there, usually leaving early with a pasted-on smile and held-back sobs until I could get into the safety of my car and collapse.
My entire life at that time was filled with trying to regain my old life … and the old me. But it wasn’t happening.  No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t match my circumstances with my personal expectations.  And I was one big disappointment after another – to myself.
There was this quiet sense of desperation that life was passing me by.   All I saw were my limitations.  And I was miserable.  But I never told anyone. I kept it inside and just tried harder.
Oh how I wish I could go back to my younger self and give her some advice.  There was so much I missed back then.  Thankfully, God intervened in a BIG way and I learned some lessons that saved me from years of regrets. But if I could, here’s what I would say to my overwhelmed self 16 years ago.
1)  Renegotiate your expectations of yourself.  Don’t expect that you can do the same things you used to do.  That not fair to you or your family.  You might be able to maintain the same lifestyle for awhile, but the costs will not be worth it in the long-run.
2)  Your worth and value aren’t found in what you can do.  They aren’t found in how well you can run a committee, organize a retreat or handle a job.  They aren’t found in how well you can sing or direct VBS.  Your value isn’t found in your accomplishments because things never stay accomplished.  Your worth is found in who you are in Christ.  You don’t have to do anything.  Just be.
3)  There is no unproductive time in God’s economy.  What seems like wasted years, aren’t.  God is always doing something, teaching you something, preparing you for something.  If you miss what God has put in front of you right now, you won’t be ready for the next thing when the time is right.
4)  Pay attention to your heart more than your appearance.  And I don’t mean physical appearance.  You can fool everyone else, but you can’t fool God.  And He cares about what’s going on inside.  Guard your heart against complaining, critical thoughts, envy, judgment and anything that isn’t of God.  Take your wrong thoughts captive and submit them to the Lord for His help in changing them.
5)  Tell someone how hard this is for you.  Find a MOPS group, start a moms group in your neighborhood, or invite someone over for coffee.  Don’t do this alone. And if the first person or group isn’t a good fit, then try another one.  You need support from moms who understand how tough this motherhood thing really is and who won’t judge you or make you feel less spiritual because you admit you sometimes think about running away (even though you’d never do it in a million years).
If you are feeling overwhelmed and desperate today, I know just how you feel. And so does our Heavenly Father.  He knows when you wonder if you will ever wear anything besides your pajamas again.  He sees every tear you cry after you take your baby to a caregiver on the way to work.  He knows howhorrible you feel after you’ve exploded over something minor.  He sees, He knows and He cares.  And He longs to have you turn to Him before you do anything else.

1 comment: