"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas card love, Mary and other random things

I love getting the mail in December.  I love all of the cards, all of the photos, all of the letters...I love catching up on near and dear ones to us near and far.  I love watching our friends families grow up and change....love love LOVE it.

Today the boys were done with school.  Tommy at 11:30 and the other boys at 1:30.  I was at Jack's party for the start of it and Max was thrilled Jack included him.  I will post pics later...frankly too tired to dig them all up right now off the camera.  I missed Drew's party, I did his Thanksgiving party and just had to pass on this one in order to take Tommy out to lunch after his finals.  He and I and Max had pizza for lunch...I think I am officially actually tiring of pizza....which shocks me.  But I think I may be.

We then picked up the other boys and headed to meet Scott at the mall for one last Santa visit and train ride before Christmas.  Max was happier to see Santa today than the first time and he even gave him a high five.  Again, I have a picture of it, and will add it later.

I have been sick this week with bronchitis and the beginnings of pneumonia so I have been laying very low.  Max has been QUITE sick since last Friday, today was his best day.  Jack was sick on Monday, Drew was sick twice this month with the stomach flu. This month has just been crazy for me...with both grandparents visiting early this month, Shutterfly books to be made, Christmas cards to be sent,  Scott being gone 9 of the last 20 days, a car accident, insurance to deal with, a sore shoulder, a cortisone shot, chiropractor stuff,  a 40th Birthday, a car to buy, gifts to wrap...I have had to give up some of my favorite things and not without a lot of Momma guilt.  My Mom reminded me last week I do NOT have to be Super Mom....and my sweet husband reminding me "not to beat myself up" when I cannot do it ALL.  I so wanted to bake Christmas cookies, ice skate with the boys, watch Christmas movies during the week, sing Christmas carols by the tree, keep the house perfect and lovely, get gifts and deliver them personally to my dearest friends...and so the list goes.

What really matters is the state of my heart...that's what I need to remember.  And to be honest, it hasn't been so Christmas Spirit filled either lately.  So tonight I have been thinking a lot about Mary.  I can't imagine what it was like for Mary.  I always think of her this time of year...can you imagine?  To be pregnant with God's child, to be scared, to be so alone yet so full of the spirit, to know you are giving birth in a stable, I mean a dirty, loud with animals, stinky stable...you are about to deliver God's son.  Can you imagine the love she felt?  Can you imagine the trust and love she had for Joseph knowing he stood by her and trusted the angel that Mary was indeed carrying God's son?  I can sense his protection of Mary.  I can imagine how she looked at him in the eye as she delivered this precious baby boy.  The quietness of the night...the magnitude of the night...the Star that shone...the stillness.  The angels singing....she wasn't worried about cookies, perfectly wrapped gifts, making sure her house was clean, the laundry was done, the clothes were ironed, Christmas cards and stamps, balanced gifts for family and children...this was the birth of JESUS the Son of God, Immanuel, Prince of Peace,....

I pray my heart softens and my mind will be still so that I can really focus on what matters right now.  

1 comment:

  1. no matter WHAT you do, you are a super mom because you love your boys and your heart is always in the right place. The other stuff can slide. I've been in the same boat and let many traditions slide this year that we usually do. So now the gear shift goes down into low and it's time to just enjoy what we do have - four perfectly healthy babes laying in their beds happy to have mamas that love them. Enjoy your family - you have a heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete