"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Paper Plate Mom

A friend of mine sent this to me...and it is a good reminder that boundaries are a good thing.  I have learned in the past few weeks, once again, that simplifying stuff is good.  That streamlining what is important in my boys's lives is good.  That it is okay in the seasons where I cannot do it all.  I don't HAVE to be at every single game they have, as long as one of us is there, it's okay.  That I don't HAVE to sign up for every single sign up that is sent to me.  It's okay to let others take that on.  It's okay to accept help.  I cannot be everything to everyone.  I am NOT perfect and God does NOT desire for me to take on that role.  As a friend texted me yesterday, my hands need to be on TOP of HIS...HE leads, I follow.  

**side note I find funny...I am hurrying around trying to post this as I get ready to head out to a Room Mom meeting to plan Jack's end of the year party....obviously I still have a LOT to learn.  
Posted by Brandi Wilson
images
The school year is starting to wrap up (yes, my kids get out for summer break in 16 days) and I realize I’m finishing up a school year where my primary goal has been to function as “paper plate Mom.”
What is “paper plate Mom?” Well, I’m so glad you asked. When this school year started I dreaded all the beginning of the year school meetings, dreaded them I tell ya. I didn’t dread them because of the teachers or hearing about my kids’ schedules. I dreaded them because I knew they were gonna add a whole slew of items to my already full plate… room mom, class parties, snack helper, spirit store, lunch room attendant, and the list could go on and on. The same jobs that most of you are faced with.
What was different this year was I didn’t really feel I could add anything else to my list and knowing those signups sheets would be facing me at open house almost sent me into a minor panic attack. So how did I respond? When those school doors were unlocked for open house I ran through those halls elbowing every parent I passed pushing my way to the sign up sheets so I could be the first one in line to sign up for the coveted position of “paper plate Mom” for every holiday party.
Admit it, y’all have done it too. Wanted to help out, but didn’t have the extra time. Paper plates are the easiest, yet a measurable, way to contribute.
Ya know what I’ve come to realize?
It’s okay to be the paper plate mom.
Knowing our boundaries is healthy.
The paper plate mom loves her kids just as much as the Parent Council President does. My kids aren’t scarred because I didn’t make a super cute Pinterest snack or coordinate their field day. I served in a way I was capable of serving. Next year that will probably look different and I’m okay with that.
At Leading and Loving It we get asked often “How do you do it all?” We don’t. We try to know our boundaries. We say no. We send paper plates to school parties. And one of the biggest tips I’ve learned is to reevaluate often… to reassess what I can personally handle and what my schedule can hold.
As we wrap up this school year and head into summer break let’s celebrate we made it through another school year and whether we were paper plate mom, room mom or parent council president celebrate how you served.
Whatever area of life you’re functioning as the “paper plate mom” know it’s okay. Celebrate the fact you realized your limits and make a plan to reevaluate your priorities and commitments. And remember to ENJOY serving and contributing.
Don’t view it as a chore but as an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment