"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Day


It never fails...my Mom never forgets May Day.  This beautiful basket of daisies arrived before 9 am. At my door. 

When I was a little girl I always made 1 May Day basket. My mom would save me the green quart strawberry holder. I'd fill it with Easter grass and candy. Maybe dandelions. Maybe pussy willows. Maybe cookies. Whatever I could find. I'd run it over to my favorite neighbor Mrs D.  Mrs D was Donna Dewitt and she was a Mom of 3 boys. She loved me like no other. She let me play at her house. She'd come and get me when I was "sick" at school and they couldn't find my Mom. (The beautiful days before cell phones). I loved her house. She made cookies, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, pbj...and I could watch TV there.  

Back to May Day....with Mrs. D...I thought she had no idea who would run those baskets over year, after year, after year....I loved it.  Such great memories. 

And now my Mom sends them to me. She never signs her name. Just says "Happy May Day" and when I call to thank her she never admits they are from her.  One of the many special things I love and appreciate about my Mom.  This year maybe more than ever.  Love you Mama!

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. Neighbors become family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tearing up. A very special May Day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most special thing. Lump in my throat.

    ReplyDelete