"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The List

Well this week has been NON stop…I am not sure if I have really slept at all.   It's been crazy.  Scott was gone all week which always takes things up a notch of busy for me.  On top of that I had a LONG list of things to do…the problem is I never actually sat down to make the "list" so that didn't help my sleep.  I would wake up adding to the "list" that didn't really exist anywhere on paper, or phone…just in my mind. But I was afraid if I actually made a written "list" it could be tracked by children who may want to know MORE than they need to about Christmas.

Well this "list" has had MANY checkmarks this week….the ones I can share are these, and yes I am doing this because it makes ME feel better to check things off of a list that never really existed other than in my own brain.

-Christmas Cards:  designed, printed and mostly stamped (I rebelled this year and didn't write in them, so when you get yours and see no personal note, don't take offense.  It's something I decided I could take off of my "list".  We send out 500 cards, this helped save a lot of time.  I KNOW that's a ridiculous amount, that's what happens when you move several times and keep in touch with so many dear friends and family)

-Christmas Cards: not a typo to write again, helped my parents design and print theirs this year.  It will be their job to lick and stamp, AND IF THEY CHOSE, write in theirs.

-Santa:  Yep we saw him, yep we took the boys picture…Scott hasn't seem him yet which Max keeps reminding us of, but that's okay.  That's not on my "list".  I have my cute Santa picture for 2013

-Christmas Shopping :  Yes, pretty much done.  A few smaller things but those can be picked up at Target in one trip….I think.  Some things were ordered via mail, thank you FREE shipping.

-Gifts wrapped: Thanks to Drew, I think we have ALL of our Ohio gifts wrapped and ready to mail off, and almost ALL of our MN gifts wrapped and ready to go.  I have let go of the perfect wrap and the perfect ribbon in an effort to lessen stress for me.  This is BIG people.

-Shutterfly LOVE:  Without divulging too much info, although my boys would have to be oblivious NOT to see what I have been doing on the computer all week.   Their annual books are done and ordered and should be here by the 24th.  :)  That has probably taken up 40, maybe 50 hours this week…I could be exaggerating but I don't think I am.  Throw in a calendar or 4 as well…it's been a LOT and YES I know it is my own fault for not doing them until this week.

-Editing DONE:  Officially done with all of my 2013 Photo editing, other than the few emails that have come this week for a tweak here or there….those will wait.  I am not adding to this "list" that doesn't really exist.

I have learned to say NO to several things this week, I need to do more of it, it is not my strength.  These are all things I LOVE to do but right now, I canNOT.  

NO I can't watch your kids on Friday morning
NO I can't help make a meal for a friend having surgery
NO I cannot make it to the cookie exchange
NO I cannot bring you lunch to school because you forgot it (I did have it delivered though)
NO you cannot have a friend over today
NO I cannot teach Sunday School this week

and these were things I was then able to say YES to….

YES I can snuggle you
YES I can come to hear your band concert
YES I will be at your Christmas Concert
YES I can make you an Ice Cream Sundae
YES I can sit and have hot chocolate with you
YES I will be at your game
YES I will be at the funeral of a dear family friend and childhood neighbor

Life is a balance, and when I lose my focus on what REALLY MATTERS it is HARD.  I want to soak in the next week before Christmas with our family.








2 comments:

  1. Same here with the mental list and the having to say "no" to things this past week. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to say no.

    ReplyDelete