"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Plaza Lights

Yesterday morning, Saturday, I was told by Jack to pack up a suitcase for Max and for me.  And be sure to pack swimsuits, we were heading to a Surprise Ride and a hotel.  hmmmm I wondered.  Scott was at Tommy's bball game with Drew.  I had thought we had nothing going on the entire weekend so was a bit confused.  I showered and packed it up.

We left around noon, drove through McDonalds and started heading towards Kansas City.  Scott knows that I love the Country Club Plaza at Christmas time.  The lights are so pretty in the Plaza.  He has taken me there 2 other times in December, I always love it.  The boys had never been.  We checked into our hotel around 3:00 and headed on down to the plaza after a clean diaper and a quick snack for the baby.  A few tears shed by this Mommy as we looked out the hotel window at the Plaza and Scott reminded the boys that this was a gift for Mom, to do something she loved.  I hugged him and cried.  It meant a lot to me, to have him be so thoughtful.  So much of my life right now is about everyone else...and Scott recognized that.  

We had so much fun strolling around and looking in the stores.  The boys were so patient, they let me look in stores they had no interest in.  Much to the bigger boys dismay there wasn't a sporting goods store anywhere to be found. Only "fancy girl stores".  We did stop at Barnes and Noble for a bit of a break for them to look at books and Max to get down and crawl around.  As much as he loves the snuggly and being held he liked getting down and reading books for awhile too, Tommy managed to locate a Starbucks for hot chocolates for us all.  We left and wandered around the plaza some more.  We only shopped in one store, and that is one of my favorites, Anthropologie.  I was told I could pick something out for a birthday or Christmas gift, so that was fun too. 

As we walked out of Anthropologie, it had begun to snow.  Tommy said to me "Mom is that snow real?  Or is it just for effect?"  It was so cute.  He was so serious.  I think the fact that it was so picture perfect with the lights, and the horse drawn carriages it seemed the snow came on cue.  I told him Daddy had to pay extra for the snow to fall for our special time there.  :)

We headed to Winsteads, which is like an old diner, for a burger and a milkshake. HUGE milkshakes actually, called Skyscrapers.  The boys loved it there as well.











We then went back to our hotel and some of the boys swam, and some  of us snuggled in and watched Madagascar on TV.  Everyone slept well.  We left this morning, ate some breakfast at Bob Evans enroute home and drove in the driveway by noon.  A quick trip that meant so much to me.

Thank you boys for making this Momma feel special...

4 comments:

  1. how fun! this made me tear up... what a special outing filled with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I loved the 'fancy girl stores' comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds LOVELY! I adore how much all the men in your life love you--have a very Merry Christmas.
    PS. Max just keeps getting cuter with each entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about this was simply wonderful! I'm so glad that you were able to get away and feel so loved!

    ReplyDelete