"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, December 20, 2010

Birthday

39 years ago today, in Columbia Hospital for Women, In Washington DC at 11:10 pm  My parents welcomed me into this world.  My Mom had made caramels earlier in the day and sobbed, thinking if she didn't have this baby soon she would miss Christmas at home with her preschooler and her 1 year old.  Around 9 that night, she knew it was time to go.  Hmmm they lived in the suburbs but leave it to my calm and collected Dad, not so much calm or collected, to get her to the hospital by 10.  And yep 1 hour and 10 minutes later I was born.  They call me their Christmas Angel...I came home on Christmas Eve, sent home in a red felt stocking.  My Dad says I was the best Christmas gift ever.

A quick recap of the day today 39 years later.  I woke up to breakfast in bed, the boys had made it on their own.  Scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, toast with cinnamon and sugar and toast with strawberry jam and a glass of milk.  I was then given the honor of doing Jack's lego advent calendar with him.  

The boys went to school and Max and I had a regular morning, a few phone calls later and a song from my Mom and it was mid morning.   My brother called with his 1st grade class and the entire Red Bird class sang Happy Birthday to me, Cha Cha Cha style, that was a riot.  One of them asked on speaker phone how old I was...when I said 39 they thought that was REALLY old.  I reminded them that their teacher, Mr. T, was older than me.  :)   Max and I then picked up Tommy at 11:45, he has finals this week so he has a different schedule than his brothers.  We headed to Panera for some soup for lunch.  Scott met us there.

Max and I ran errands this afternoon, ran to the grocery store...the normal.  Came home to a house smelling like angel food cake.  Scott and Tommy had evidently been busy baking while Max and I were out.  

After the boys came home from school, they brought me a Starbucks hot chocolate by the way mmmm....  we opened gifts before we headed out to dinner.  Some thoughtful homemade gifts from the boys...










We went to Appare which is a Japanese Chop House, a first for our family...we had one who was scared to death of it all, one who couldn't wait to eat, one who asked a bazillion questions and one who just sat there looking cute as could be...it was an experience.  At the end we all decided it was a fun experience and we were very happy to learn that mondays are buy one get one free meals.  What a deal!







We came home to make homemade ice cream, slice up some strawberries and dig into the angel food cake.  It was all very yummy...



after all of that I remembered I needed 3 dozen baked goodies for school in the morning so the rest of our evening I spent baking with Drew and Tommy helping me...


It was a great day.  I felt loved and special.  After a fun weekend overnight in KC I would say this birthday has lasted a few days.  :)


4 comments:

  1. I am SO glad your birthday was special. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very special day for a very special person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad that I didn't know it was your birthday! Happy one day late, birthday, to you! You are such a special friend - I wish you another blessed year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an amazing birthday weekend! So special and so wonderful... Happy Birthday friend!

    ReplyDelete