"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, November 16, 2009

"You failed"

Not the words you want to hear when you pick up the phone and it is your OB Doctor on the other end, well not sure you ever want to hear those words actually. Today I failed the 2nd gestational diabetes test. I failed the one hour test before we went to Disney, got that call at Epcot. :) Then took the 3 hour test this morning and our Dr. called within 30 minutes of me getting home to tell me I failed 1 of the 3 tests which means you fail them ALL. :(

So now onto the next step. I am waiting for a call from his nurse, she will evidently get me all set up to do daily finger pricks 4 times a day to watch my sugar and insulin levels as I understand it. I also will get to start on a diabetic diet, which will be similar to my weight loss diet I was on this spring I am sure. Low carbs, no sugar, high proteins...whole grains etc. The Doctor said IF I pass a week of first thing in the morning blood pricks with normal levels he will consider the testing a fluke and won't consider me diabetic. I am praying for that result. But if I do continue to "fail" I will eat like a diabetic, do blood levels like a diabetic and if I have to take insulin like a diabetic.

Pray this all gets under control and there are no complications to the baby. It probably explains some of my swelling and tingling I have had in my feet he said. So he is thinking it could be the diabetes thing...we will see. I have hope it's a fluke. :)

I am NOT good with needles or blood or shots....especially in me. SO this will be a challenge. Scott is good with them all, so he will be a great help during this time. (Thankfully my Dad isn't in charge, he does not do well when one needs a bandaid let alone anything with blood, needles or pain :) )Scott has watched me have 3 c sections and carries on conversations with the nurses and Dr's all in stride, amazes me really.

Please pray...we do have another ultrasound next Wednesday to check in on the little one growing inside. Can't wait for that!

4 comments:

  1. Praying for a fluke. If it is indeed gestational diabetes, then I change my prayer to good wisdom for the doctors, minimal discomfort and pricks for you, and perfect health for this precious baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prayed for you & the test today, and was just getting ready to email to see when you would get results. You got them back fast! Let me know if you want any recipes...you'll be eating like Josh.

    Can't wait to hear about Wednesday's ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you and little babe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, my friend and your precious baby.

    ReplyDelete