"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scruffy




Scruffy, our hamster, really more Drew's hamster than anyones...is dying.  It has been a very sad night here at the Shisler home.  Last night we noticed Scruffy wasn't in his normal, cozy hiding spot and I asked Drew how Scruffy had been this week.  And he said he hadn't left that spot for a couple of days for anything.  I knew that was not good. So tonight I checked on him, and sure enough he is barely alive and barely breathing.

These are the days when your Mommy heart breaks or shatters into small pieces.  I wish I could make the pain go away for Drew...and for Jack who is so sad as well.  Tommy wasn't as attached to Scruffy but is sad for his brothers.

Scruffy was a great hamster...he was friendly and loving and never crabby.  He especially loved his home in Drew's room.  They were 2 of a kind in a lot of ways.  I told Drew he would probably not make it through the night so that when Drew woke up he would know Scruffy would be dead.  Drew put a washcloth over his little body so he would be warm and comfortable, we put his favorite treat by his nose to smell and he hung his little Christmas Stocking back up on his cage.  Ugh rip my heart out...and before all of that he asked if he could hold Scruffy one more time and if I would take their picture.  Ugh...so we did.  

Drew's last question before bed was "Will Scruffy go to heaven because he didn't really know Jesus Mommy"  ...these are the times when the right words are hard.  I said that I know God loves all of His creatures , He made them and He knows how special Scruffy was to Drew and that I hoped that there was a place in heaven for the loved pets we all have had, but that the bible doesn't tell us that for sure.  Drew agreed with that.  So tonight we thanked God that Scruffy wasn't suffering that he was just falling into a long, sound sleep.  And Drew prayed that Jesus would welcome him to heaven and hold him there.

I am posting a couple of pictures of Scruffy from last year...some of my favorites.

Please pray for Drew.  He has had a rough week with the mono and now this...he is exhausted.

 At Drew and Jack's request; there will be a private family funeral service held in our backyard on Monday afternoon, the burial will follow soon after in the garden.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. I am seriously not even able to see the screen because of my tears. The heartbreak we as mothers endure over so many things with our children is so bittersweet - we learn so much about life through even little scruffy.

    ReplyDelete