"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Goats

Last Friday the boys had a special speaker at school.  He shared with the students about the organization he works with that helps free Slaves in Sudan.  Do you realize there are over 100,000 people that were sold into slavery from Southern Sudan to Northern Sudan?  And there have been almost 65,000 rescued and returned to freedom and still are 35,000 that are estimated to still be in slavery.

Do you realize it costs $50 to free a slave?  There are people in the country who work with this organization and offer to purchase $50 of animals, medicines or grain in trade for a slave.  They then purchase that slave and return them to freedom?  http://csi-usa.org

Do you realize that once these slaves are free it costs $60 to purchase them a goat in which they can have milk, sell milk, make cheese and have freedom in income?  www.goatsfortheoldgoat.com


Do you realize that it costs $50 to purchase these people a Sack of hope that contains supplies for the newly freed slaves?  That includes  Sack of Hopehttp://goatfortheoldgoat.com


  • Tarpaulin to offer shelter from rain and sun which can also be used as a groundsheet
  • Blanket to keep the whole family warm on cold nights in the bush
  • Mosquito net for protection against insects, snakes, and scorpions
  • Cooking pan for boiling water and preparing millet gruel
  • Plastic canister to carry 5 liters of water
  • Hand-held sickle for cultivating food and building a home
  • Fishing hooks


  • Amazing stuff to me.  I went to listen to him speak and immediately my heart felt convicted, sad, shocked...that there are people out there that live like this.  That I spend $50 without a whole lot of thought.  That I was wearing boots that day that could have practically freed 4 slaves.  Ugh...sinking heart.

    Drew and Tommy were in the assembly too...oh my heart ached and how I prayed that their hearts would be touched by this as mine was.

    Let me back up for a minute...Last weekend, New Years Eve Drew babysat for the first time.  He came home with $60.  Shockingly a LOT of money.  I shared with our neighbor that she paid him TOO much, she said that they had taken it into account that it was very late, and a holiday and that's why they paid him so much.  And here is the VERY cool thing...as Drew and I got in the car after the assembly he looked right at me and said "Mom, you know what.  That money I just got for babysitting is JUST the right amount to buy a goat for someone in Sudan.  That's what I want to do with it".

    See God knew...he knew that $60 was just the amount.  Drew and I just sat down and purchased the goat.  They send you a picture of your goat with the person who received it in Sudan.  We can't wait to see their smile.



    4 comments:

    1. Crying major...the kids were very touched by his story. The $60 babysitting story is what put me in tears.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Okay. I'm crying. Ditto to Jen in that the $60 of babysitting money buying a goat put me into the ugly cry. Love that Drew heard, was moved, and responded. Love his heart.

      ReplyDelete