"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, January 15, 2016

Pictures are Powerful



I have always felt like pictures are powerful.  I have always known that, always been a picture taker.  Yep, when I was in elementary school I got my first camera..a disc camera.  I have awesome pics of my neighborhood, my street, my stuffed animals, my bedroom...all that I probably took in 2nd or 3rd grade.  Then I have awesome ones of the last day of school 4th-6th grade.  Playground pictures, group pictures.  I have ALWAYS been THAT girl with a camera.  Bless my parents hearts for the thousands of dollars spent developing my pictures and allowing my to blow them up, and hang them ALL over my walls in my room.  Never ONCE did they complain, or tell me to stop taking so many pictures.

This week I have been humbled.  I took senior pictures this past summer of the boy, Drew, who took his own life.  His Mom emailed and asked for any and all pictures I still had, that I had not edited.  I put a verse on one of his photos and asked her permission to post it, she asked to make a poster of it.  I always force ask senior boys to kiss their Mom's for a photo, and last night at his visitation his Mom shared how that picture from that moment will always be her very favorite ever.

As I have edited more pictures this week of him, and looked through my archives of photos of when he and Tommy were younger and played on the same sports teams I realize the power of photos even more.  They capture a moment, a memory, something you will never get back.

I have also realized the impact one person can have on a community.  There were probably 1000 people last night in line at his visitation.  I am NOT exaggerating.  The line went for hours, they were still greeting people at 11:00 pm.  They started at 5:45 pm.  If Drew only knew how loved he was by many...

I don't ever want to be editing senior photos for a funeral again, but I am so grateful that the love I have for photos, for capturing every expression I possibly can, for always taking TOO many photos at a session...I am grateful that right now this is a priceless gift I can give his parents, his family.

Pray for this family, they are hurting.  I am grateful for the promise of heaven for those who believe!
















3 comments:

  1. I have tears streaming down my face right now. I will be praying for this family and all those that were touched by Drew. I am so sorry for your loss Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God bless you for your ministry to this family and so many others. Photography is not just pictures. It is a photographer (a person) being part of that moment in your life that will never happen again. Photos keep us connected. My heart breaks for this family. Never hesitate to take a picture. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete