"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, October 23, 2015

How Did I Get So Blessed?

As a little girl I adored my Dad, I loved him beyond measure.  He truly could do NO wrong in my eyes.  I don't remember ever arguing with him, or talking back to him.  I remember crying when I would "disappoint" him, but he never yelled at me, he would simply come to my room sit beside me on my bed and share his hurt and disappointment.  Ugh...that was all he needed to do to get to my heart.

I always knew I was blessed to have such a terrific Dad.  I remember when my Grandpa Twig died, sitting in the parking lot of the funeral home about to drive away.  I remember my Dad turning to my brother and me and saying "If I am half the Dad he was, than I will have done well".  I was in the 7th grade.  I didn't understand why he would say that?  He was an amazing Dad, my Grandpa was an amazing Grandpa and Dad.  But now as a parent I get it.  I totally get it.  I feel like that with our boys.  If I can be half the parent my Mom and Dad are...if I can show our boys love like the kind of love I grew up knowing.  If I can raise our boys to feel that unconditional, unspeakable, unshakable love I will be proud.

As I have gotten older I have realized more and more that NOT everyone is raised with this kind of love from their parents.  I feel like especially from their Dad...many of the people close to me did not and do not have the same bond I have with my Dad (and Mom).  I didn't know that when I was younger....I see that now.  They didn't hear words of affirmation, shouts of praise, encouragement from their Dad.

How did I get so blessed?

My Dad just saw the blog post with the pictures of Tommy on it...and again I am reminded how very blessed I am to have a Dad that CONTINUES to encourage me, to love me, to pray for me and to tell me how very proud he is of me.

Tears run down my cheeks as I type this...there is really nothing like feeling the love of your parents.  It never gets old, it never gets tiresome.  May I be a parent like that...

Here is what Dad sent to me....

Good Morning Dear Susan,

I just arrived home from Cursillo Renewal.  Mom is at beauty salon and am here alone ready to start some more study.  Cursillo was good...Don was the speaker , I opened with the prayer and Keith T. closed after Don spoke with the prayer.  It was a good morning and Don did great.

I checked my email to find the new pix of Tommy and your note as well.  I, too, got teary just looking at the fine young man in those pictures.  What a good guy he is and what a fine young man he is becoming.  He will do well although I  know at this time how your heart longs for the best for him.  Scott and you have been such wonderful parents and God will care for him.  He will do well no matter what vocation, wife, or path he chooses...he will make fine choices because he has the true strength of character and Faith given to him thru your nurturing.

Love the pictures and love you for being such a wonderful daughter, wife , Mother and person.  I am so proud of you and your entire family.

Love,
xoxoxox
Dad



I think I am the luckiest girl around.  I will always be a Daddy's girl....forever and ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment