"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sanibel Island

One week from today I will be landing in Florida…headed to Sanibel Island, just me…my Mom and my Dad.  Yes, you read that right I am going on a trip with my parents at 42 years old.  Why? How? do you ask…

5 years ago I took my Mom to California for her 70th birthday, we went to Palm Springs for 5 days of sun, pool, reading, movies in our room, eating out and spa time.  This year as Mom approaches 75 she wanted to treat me to a trip, this time to one of our family favorite spots…Sanibel Island.  She called this fall during a "harder than most weeks" for this busy Mom and surprised me with this plan.  About 2 days later my Dad called me…if you don't know yet, I am a Daddy's girl…and he asked if he could possibly come too on our girl's trip.  How could I say no to that?  How many grown adults get to go away on a trip, with no distractions, with their parents?  Not many.

I am getting so excited, I am building up my list of books to bring and read, I am planning for the boys…I am grateful for such a supportive husband who is happy for me to get some "me" time.  I am working on letting go of the Mama guilt for doing this for me and only me.

I am excited for this retreat, I am excited for walks on the beach, for uninterrupted time with my parents…I know not everyone has both of their parents healthy, not everyone has both of their parents still happily married, and not everyone would want to spend 6 days with their parents alone like me…. I am so very grateful for this gift of mine.


4 comments:

  1. Have fun! Sounds awesome. Go on a bird watching walk for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such exciting news! Taking time is a reward for your family for sure :)

    ReplyDelete