"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Special Weekend for Tommy

The boys have had a short week of school this week, conference week....so early outs the last 3 days at 1:30 and no school tomorrow.  They are loving it...earlier this week I realized Tommy had NOTHING on the calendar this weekend that he couldn't miss...and I tried to figure out a fun weekend idea for him.  I then realized our good friends, the Millers, were headed to Mpls on Thursday after school to visit other good friends of ours, the Ericksons, that had moved about a year ago to Mpls.  I put a few phone calls out there and realized Tommy could hitch a ride with the Millers and spend the weekend ALONE with my parents, aka Grandma and Grandpa (Poppy), it isn't very often, if EVER, our boys get alone time with grandparents.  I picked Tommy up from school on Monday and ran the idea by him, knowing what he would respond with...and HE almost ran me off the road with his excitement.

First off, it melts my heart that he SO loves being with his Grandparents, my Mom and Dad.  Second off, I know my parents would be just as excited as Tommy to get him all to themselves.  All of that combined just blesses my heart. I remember when I was about Tommy's age...I would JUMP at any chance to ride out to South Dakota with my Dad, to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Twig.  I LOVED those trips where it would just be the 2 of us, and once we got there, it would just be ME with my grandparents.  My Grandma Twig and I would giggle giggle giggle in the kitchen, make milkshakes, eat foot long hot dogs...my Grandpa would smile with tears in his eyes at the sight of my Dad and I walking in and he would squeeze me so hard when he would hug me.  My Grandma would about JUMP out of her skin at the sight of us in her driveway.  I LOVE having the memory of Grandparents that were SO happy to see me.  And I LOVE that our boys have that same experience.

As the days went by this week I randomly checked Tommy's texts...and saw he was texting to my Mom the days and hours until he would be there.  The 2 of them went on fast planning mode too of where they would eat, what they would eat, when they would go to the Mall of America, when they would go see Charlie play hockey and that G'pa would try to get some Timberwolves tickets for them to go to a game.  It was so cute.  I love that he has such a great relationship with BOTH of my parents.  It says a lot to me about the time they have invested into his life.  It speaks volumes to me about the respect he has for his Grandparents.

So by now, they have almost every minute planned out I can imagine.

What a fun weekend ahead for him...in the meantime we have a day off of school tomorrow. :)  Max is a bit croupy so not sure what it will entail.  Drew has basketball on Saturday and believe it or not our Little League "try outs" are Saturday morning for Jack.  Jack is happily tucked into Tommy's bed, enjoying a room to himself...although he will still pop out of bed in the morning the second Max makes a peep.  Cute....    Drew has a birthday party tomorrow afternoon and night.  Also..if you don't know, Star Wars in 3D comes out in theaters tomorrow, so that MAY be on the list of things Jack wants to do this weekend.  :)

4 comments:

  1. My boys feel that way too...as does McKay. This year Kyle and I are contemplating sending them out to their house on a plane, by themselves. It is so hard for me to let them go, I know people do it...but hard nonetheless. The would love it though! I hope he has a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I wish I had lots of memories of my grandparents like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though we didn't get to see Tommy, we are glad he was here! And we got some of your mom's yummy sugar cookies courtesy of the Millers! Love the interconnections of our worlds.....hugs!
    J

    ReplyDelete