"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, June 6, 2011

My most loyal one...

Drew loved Gailen, and Gailen loved Drew.  Tonight was Gailen's Visitation, Drew went with me and we dropped off food at 3:00 and Gailen's body was already there.  Drew went in alone to see him.  He had a VERY hard time.  We went back at 5:00 for the visitation along with Scott and Tommy. 


Drew had a very hard time...sobbed over and over.  Was frustrated more kids weren't sad, couldn't understand why they weren't.  Made him mad actually.   Stephanie had asked for lots of pictures to be taken, she knows who to call when she wants lots of pictures.  So 2 of my friends offered to take some too....so I was staying for awhile and I knew that.  Drew stayed with me.  He didn't want to leave.


We stayed until everyone was gone...yep even the family had left.  He asked me to go up with him to say goodbye.  (I don't do caskets people, but I went up with my eyes closed and hugged him from behind as he sobbed)  Then I thought we were done...and he went up one more time on his own.  


We then waited for the casket to be rolled out.  He held the door for Gailen as they rolled it outside to the hearse.  He stood by the hearse waiting for it to be loaded inside.  Loyal as they come.  


You see with Drew, once you are IN his circle, he is the most loyal friend.  I sent an email to some good friends of this story from tonight and one wrote back the following and I love the picture of it...she said 

"I got goose bumps reading about the hearse - he was there - a man in a young boys body being there for Gailen so he wasn't alone. It's an incredible thing he will always remember."


and so true....so very true.  He won't forget that moment.  Nor will I...


This boy is loyal...and so sad...and asking when Jesus is coming back so he can go to heaven too.  Love you Drew....

3 comments:

  1. I am crying all over again too. He is a sweet, sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying again, too. Drew has such a precious, tender heart.

    ReplyDelete