"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, November 19, 2012

What we have been up to....

This past week flew by...Tommy has started 9th grade basketball, Drew had his first Junior High Game, and Jack is in his 3rd week of basketball games as well.  I spent a lot of time this week editing photos and getting those checked off of my list.  Still have one more to do and then will get to my brothers and our families hopefully before Thanksgiving.  :)

Drew's First Game on Tuesday in VanMeter..he is #33, closest he could get to Gailen's #44


My phone was giving me battery problems so I spent TOO much time at Apple on monday but ended up with a new phone at no charge, thank you Apple Care.  So I lost a few pictures in between that change.  :(  But of course you really don't need EVERY second of your life captured?  Or do you?  Hmmm I am probably not the one to ask that...

Thursday night we headed to Jack's favorite restaurant Bang Bang for an early birthday dinner for him. It was the most open night we had for the next week.

Dinner out


Friday, Max and I headed to Story City, IA to spend the day with my dear friend Lynn who moved a few years ago now.  Miss having her close by, but SO appreciate how we can just pick up where we left off.. a beautiful day.

Friday night was our night to make dinner and serve it to the Homeless at the Central Iowa Shelter, one of our very favorite things to do.  They recently moved into a BEAUTIFUL new facility so it was fun to get to see it in action.  Loved the interaction we were able to have with the guests there after we served, Scott played cards, which he LOVES and doesn't get enough of in our house, (I do NOT like cards at all)....Max was the hit running around.  I spent time talking with 2 mom's to be, both due in January....same as when max was born.  I tried to put myself in their shoes...living in a homeless shelter expecting a baby in less than 2 months...sigh.  I told them I would pray for them.  Please would you?  Maria and Jennifer were their names.  My heart breaks for them.  And I also know that God hasn't forgotten them, He does have a plan for them, for their babies...but wow did that make me come home and look at things just a little differently.  As I folded several loads of clothes that night, all of the boys were asleep and I just sat there with a grateful heart...enough clothes, a warm home, a job, love...health....so much.  Really SO much.








We decided mid week to whip up a birthday party for Jack this Saturday.  It evolved as the week went on...no I am not one who plans parties for LONG periods of time, don't make Pinterest boards for parties etc...no offense to my dear friends that do and I am NOT going to allow myself Momma guilt for NOT doing that.  Love them, I just don't have the patience for it.  Jack wanted an Avenger party...started out he wanted 11 friends over for 4 hours playing games in our basement.  (ummm 11, 9 and 10 year old boys...eeks)  We settled for 2 to sleep over, he has NOT ever HAD or been to a sleepover so he was THRILLED that we even entertained that option.  Well somehow the 2 turned into 4 boys, but the Avenger theme stuck.  We finished planning the party Friday or maybe even Saturday..:)   We had pizza and cake, Drew had made up some Avenger Scavenger hunt game they all seemed to like...we opened gifts.  We decided to take the boys to see "Wreck It Ralph" in the theater...so Scott took the boys, our big boys and all of these others to the movie.  Max and I opted out.





]








Not uploading in order and I am too tired to re arrange


3 of the 4 could sleep over, they were asleep by 11.  Cannot complain about that.  Awake by 6:30 and played in the basement until Scott brought home doughnuts, then off they went home and we headed to church.  Actually a pretty nice way to do a party.

Jack's "REAL" birthday is Tuesday, November 20th..hard to believe he will be 10 years old.  Really hard.  He has a school concert that night...so we will be celebrating in between that.  He is very excited.

Today after church Jack had a basketball game,  We put up our outdoor Christmas lights...we had a baseball team meeting..yes that is NOT misspelled...BASEBALL.  Drew is joining a new team and it was basically a meet and greet for parents and kids.  Crazy huh?   3 of the boys go to school with Drew, and we know one other family so I think it will be a fun group of boys and families.

Jack today, in white...


Think that catches you up...whew...

A full few days ahead...Thanksgiving is coming.  Scott and I will spend out first Thanksgiving apart in 18 years.  He and Drew will head to Ohio on Wednesday, Drew's Buckeye game is Saturday...we decided mid week it was best for Scott to go early and spend some time with his parents.  His Dad has had bronchitis, kidney stones and is having trouble with cataracts since his fall.  Just cannot seem to get back to a week without a Dr's appointment...so they will go there and spend time with them, help them get their Christmas lights up outside, set up the tree...and just BE with them on Thanksgiving.  My parents will come here, we are going out to eat...I know...I know...but it's how I wanted to do it.  It will be a nice quiet day here for us.  Tommy is REALLY hoping someone invites him to Black Friday Shopping since I refuse to go and Scott won't be here to take him.  So if anyone is interested in an extra 15 year old to stand in line with let me know. :)



Have a blessed week friends....sorry this got SO long











6 comments:

  1. I Love your lights and I really LOVE that Capt America was able to come to Jack's party! :) Happy Birthday Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. phew... you've been busy.

    love the lights... we need to get ours done. i am getting excited to get the decorating done. friday we will pull it all out. not sure when we get the tree whenever they arrive. it may be a little later this year since thanksgiving is so early. i commissioned a friend to make us new stockings so finally we will coordinate. so excited!

    morgan is totally a black friday shopper... NOT me. i am pretty much done with my kids and everything is wrapped that i do have. i do not enjoy the craziness of christmas shopping at all. i want to relax and enjoy the season. our old neighbors called and are taking morgan out again this year black friday shopping. she is SO excited. i think its the thrill of being up late at night i don't get it. it is definitely not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to the Iowa Huskers game so I don't know what Black Friday shopping we will be doing but if we go, I will call. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad tommy can't drive or I would give him a Black Friday list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a shopper for black Friday either, but my boys would love it so if he doesn't find anyone, we can take him and hang out. He might be bored with us though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to catch up on your family. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete