"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

College Weekend

So this past weekend was rare for our family....Scott was in Columbus with Jack for his Buckeye weekend at HIS alma mater (in case you had missed that info before ltm :) ), okay that's NOT rare BUT Tommy, Drew, Max and I were in Decorah, IA visiting MY alma mater, Luther College.  My parents even met us there for fun.  This was the FIRST time I have ever taken the boys to Luther...not sure why it's taken so long.  I hadn't been back in years.  It was SO fun for me to be back on Campus.  I have SO many wonderful memories there.   So many dear friends from there, it was such a great place for me.  It was so fun to get to share it with our boys, well not ALL of them but MOST of them.

We met my parents there on Saturday before lunch on Saturday...we ate in the "CAF".  I think I had forgotten a little bit how beautiful that view is.  For those of you who don't know Decorah is in the NE corner of Iowa where there are bluffs and hills...and it is simply BEAUTIFUL.  I only wish there would have still been leaves on the trees.  We toured campus, we went to see Dunning Springs and my favorite fish hatchery, we ate dinner at Mabe's Pizza, we stopped to see my elementary school friend Sara and her family that now live in Decorah and we headed to the hotel to bed.

Sunday morning we got up Drew served my Dad and I breakfast in bed.  He brought it up from downstairs for us.  You see, it is the Terwilliger gene to NOT be morning people.  But the Shisler genes are MORNING genes.  So all the boys, and my Mom were up and ready to roll.  Then the boys went swimming with Papa.  We stopped by the Luther sign for some photos on the way out of town.

While in Columbus, Jack and Daddy had fun too.  They got there around 2 am on Friday morning.  They had breakfast at Bob Evans, went shopping at the Buckeye shops, saw our good Des Moines friends the Johnson's at lululemon, hit the Lego store, they had lunch at Wendy's (shocking I know), had dinner at Eddie Georges, then ended the night with time at the arcade at Dave and Busters.  Saturday they were up early, headed to campus early for tailgating,  walked around campus, went to the top of the library for pictures, visited Daddy's old dorm, Mirror Lake, the Union.  Cane's chicken, a favorite, for lunch on campus.  Then it was time for the game...after the game they started the drive back to iowa.

We all arrived home in time for Jack's 2:00 pm basketball game, his first of the season.

We had a fun weekend, it was great to be back at Luther and so fun that my parents could be there to help the boys see it through my eyes.  Fun to have someone to walk down memory lane with.  Jack and Daddy had a fun time together as well...

Special weekends...

I want to preface this photo dump with, it is NOT going to be in order.  As much as my orderly mind wants to put them in chronological order...I have 3 loads of laundry to fold and no energy for re ordering photos.  :)  whew, now I feel better

Jack at Lululemon with our good friends, the Johnsons from Clive...Brooke lives in Columbus.  They have all taught our boys how to swim

At Eddie George's in Columbus

Cane's on Campus

Mirror Lake

View of the stadium from the library

View of the "Oval" from the top of the library, take note Drew pointed out to us that it is about the size of the entire Luther campus, good comparison I think.

Game time

Campus at Luther

So fun mom and dad were there with us...

Just the boys

after the boys pic Max announced "how bout just Max"....so here it is, "Just Max"

Papa and his best friend

Drew and Grandpa

Tommy is getting TALL...look at this.

At the football game at Luther, no tickets required there.  :)  Skybox seats as Drew called them, on the deck in the Union.  Such a beautiful day.
The view of the football field from the Union and Cafeteria...those trees 
on the hill are SO beautiful in the fall....

By the bell....


A new garden, pathway area in the center of campus, it's so beautiful.  And it was given in honor of one of my Dad's friends, small world huh?

Believe it or not THIS is my freshman dorm room, now converted into a study lounge.  We had a beautiful view of campus from this room.  Probably one of my favorites.

Wonder where these 2 will end up for school some day?  hmmm... note they FINALLY own Luther Apparel.  Drew's pants and Tommy's tee.  

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous weekend. I'm glad you got to take your boys to Luther & that your parents could be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! it is such a beautiful campus and part of Iowa!

    ReplyDelete