"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, August 21, 2015

Senior & Kindergarten Sandwich


So....we have been planning on sending Max to half day Kindergarten for over a year now.  The preschool he went to has an amazing Kindergarten program and teacher and small class sizes.  Most days I have been excited about that for him, and for me, to have one more year of mornings together and a little bit slower pace for both of us.  The more I have thought about it the more I worried the slower pace was more for me, than him.  But I brushed that aside and kept going on...

Yesterday at the welcome back breakfast for staff at school, I went as the yearbook adviser...the Superintendent spoke.  He stirred my heart some...well God probably stirred it but the words came from Mr. Vos.  "Many Minds, One Mission", "Community", the mission statement...repeating that over and over....



I happened to sit "near" Jack's kindergarten teacher at the breakfast, and as always she asked about Jack.  Checked in on him and if he was excited for 7th grade...there is a connection that he has made with her, that our family has that touched my heart.  She told me she had been praying for my Mom, as did most others I spoke with...that's something unique about a christian school. 

We have been pondering about what to do next year for Max, do we do DMC do we do public school for him?  How will all of the finances work with 3 in school here and Tommy in college.  Can we do it?  What do we need to prioritize?  Half day Kindergarten felt like a safe way to have time to determine those answers.

But then I was "stirred yesterday"...and this morning still.  I was emotional, shocking I know...meet the teacher day is today at DMC were we making the right decision.  Max is SO busy at home and gets SO bored so easily.  But what was the answer...I emailed and chatted with my Mom.  What is it about Mom's that they always say what you need to hear?  She asked me questions that made me think.  She asked if the money difference wasn't there what would we do?  She asked where my heart felt he should be?  She told me to trust my heart.  To take it a day at a time.  To take a leap of faith.  She knows my heart.  She knows how much I want our boys to all be together for this one year.  But my heart has been set on half day for so long, can I let him go?  Should I feel guilty for feeling like all day may be best for both him, and me, this season of life?  Scott told me he trusted my Mom instincts and to do what I thought was best.  He is a wise man and knows that

Then a friend asked me if I had asked Max yet. Nope I hadn't.  So I did....he was all for DMC.  To see his brothers, to be at the school he is so familiar with, to have PE and recess and lunch....

So we went to Meet the Teacher day and popped our head into his "would be" classroom with our favorite Mrs. Johnston and he was sold, as was I...I felt such a peace about it all when I walked into the school.  A joy that all of our boys will be in the same " nest" all day together...it's special.  A senior and a kindergarten sandwich I call it...with a 7th and 10th grader in the middle. 
He was not happy about a picture today...to him he was done deciding and ready to move on. 


Now it is time to get school supplies and stop the tears...

So grateful for my Mom today, and for her hearing my heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment