"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Update from a Tired Mom

It's Monday...I need more hours in my days.  I need less tired, more energy, more quiet, more time.  I am busily completing edits for photography clients, I am working on Jack's birthday party that is later this week, planning a harvest party for the 6th graders for next Tuesday afternoon, organizing a Shelter meal for the homeless for Sunday, working on designing and creating new yearbook curriculum for our Secondary at school, working on a Sunday school lesson that is Sunday morning,  planning a Thanksgiving meal here a day early next week due to an Ohio trip for some boys, Starting to work on our Christmas card designs,  I am TIRED, I am longing for a lazy day where there isn't anything pressing on my list of things to do.  I am starting to wonder if I will ever have one of those days again before I am 75 years old.  Is it bad if our Thanksgiving meal ends up being Pizza?  I am kidding, I promise I will do better than that.  But I am TIRED.  Last night I fell asleep dressed, contacts in with Max in our bed.  And woke up at 6:15 am by Max...still with my contacts in.  Ouch.  Not smart.  But tired. Would it be bad if we only did a Christmas tree for decorations this year?  Would it be bad if we only hung stockings?  No lights on the outside of the house?  How simple can I get?  I say that now but once I start opening up those boxes of decorations I will change my mind...I think.  I really LOVE Christmas.

Did I mention that High School basketball started today...not that there has been much of a break between football and basketball.  Coaches want you lifting weights at least 3 times a week.  It's something I fight against as a Mom.  I always long for our boys to have "free time" ...time to just BE kids.  Lay around, watch a show, play in the snow, play a game....the society we live in doesn't allow that margin and sometimes it just makes me mad.  Each sport runs into another sport, and when you are not playing THAT sport the coaches expect you to be training on your OFF days for THEIR sport.  We have emails coming every week from the golf coach, the baseball coach, the football coach and the basketball coach.  There is never anytime where they don't think you should be doing "something" to prepare for THEIR season.  I dislike this greatly.  I just want out boys to love being kids and love the downtime that kids deserve.  I must be in the minority for this...

We spent the weekend in Minnesota.  I headed up on Thursday night with Tommy and his friend David, dropped them off at some friends dorm at Northwestern University in St Paul.  They had a great night and I met them on Friday morning for a tour.  We spent the day touring and learning more about Northwestern.  It's a great school, with a pretty campus.  Tommy has now seen Ohio State and Northwestern.  Pretty opposites of the spectrum for him.  HUGE and TINY.  PUBLIC and PRIVATE.

It was great to get to be with my Mom and Dad.  I LOVE being near them and I LOVE checking to see how my Mom is doing.  It matters to me how she is sleeping, eating and feeling.  Instead of my calling her 3 times a day to check I can see with my own two eyes how she REALLY is.  I like that.  I have a hard time leaving.  I cry every time.  I used to cry just saying goodbye to my Dad...it's turned and now I cry hugging my Mom.  It's hard for me.

Some pictures of our adventures at home with Mom, and Max.  Max did get to spend some time with his cousin Alice too during the game.  He had so much fun playing in the snow.




Oh and let's not forget taking this little girl to the American Doll store for the very first time ever.  The stuff Aunts dream off...well Aunts who have all boys.  




Scott headed up late on Friday night with Drew and Max.  Jack stayed home for a basketball tournament.  Tommy, Drew, David and Scott headed to the Buckeye vs Gopher game on Saturday morning with my Dad, brother and our nephew Charlie.  It was SO cold and SNOWING but the boys were thrilled to be going.  here are some pictures from the adventures








 After the game they met up with one of Scott's OSU friends and his buddies, one happens to be an exec at Nike...Tommy's dream job so he had a good time talking with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment