"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, November 7, 2014

Hello Kitty Love

So those of you who know me well KNOW that I LOVE anything Hello Kitty.  I have a slight obsession with Hello Kitty.  But most of you probably don't know how that all started.  And since it is currently the 40th anniversary of Hello Kitty let me share my Hello Kitty love with you.... remember I am 42 years old.  

When I was a little girl my Mom and I would go to the mall once in awhile.  Nothing like we all go to the malls these days, but we would go, maybe once a month?  Maybe every other month.  It wasn't a lot but I LOVED spending that time with my Mom.

We almost always shopped at the same places.  We certainly shopped at the Eden Prairie Center, my Dad was a banker in Eden Prairie so we always shopped there.  To help the local economy I guess which in turn helped the bank.  Dentist and Hair cuts...always in EP.  But we lived in Edina...go figure that one out hmmmm?

I digress....

Back to going to the mall with my Mom....I was probably 5 or 6 when these trips started.  I was in preschool, then half day kindergarten so I was with Mom a lot by myself.  She would go into the big department store in Eden Prairie Center.  In this department store there was a lucite kiosk that was FILLED with Hello Kitty stuff.  Mainly tiny pencils, stickers, pads of paper, tape, coin purses, erasers, pencil cases, glitter stickers, puffy stickers...my guess I everything was less than $2-  I don't know...but what I do know is that my Mom always let me look and look AND look at that kiosk.  I don't remember if she was shopping while I did this, or if she was just waiting while I looked...but she ALWAYS took the time to let me look and look at the Hello Kitty stuff.  And from what I recall, she ALWAYS let me pick something out to take home.  Hence my Hello Kitty love began....

In the 3rd grade Jean Donahue TOOK my pink Hello Kitty scotch tape and dispenser out of my desk in Mrs. Jones classroom.  I was devastated.  I saw that she had it.  She denied stealing it.  The next day she brought back 2 warm fuzzy things to stick to my desk saying she was sorry my Hello Kitty tape went "missing"....hmmm I am still upset about it.  YET....they make it now and I have a roll in my desk JUST in case.  Obviously Jean's Mom didn't take her to the kiosk at the mall.  And obviously I am not yet bitter about it.  

Long story short...this has been a lifetime love of mine.  For many years, you couldn't find Hello Kitty...she all but disappeared.  BUT in the past 10-15 years she has been making a comeback.  Especially the last 5-8.  Nothing could have made me happier from my childhood memories...well other than my brother finally coming clean on throwing my Donny and Marie microphone in the bushes and ruining it.  

Once again...I digress...

Hello Kitty represents my childhood to me.  Hello Kitty also represents my Mom and her love for me.  She NEVER complained about the times I stood far too long perusing the Hello Kitty kiosk.  She knew I love it.  Don't mention that the people in Japan and Sanrio are now saying that it's NOT a cat, it's a girl.  They don't know what they are talking about.  Hello Kitty is a happy cat...kitten perhaps.  I love that my friends see Hello Kitty and think of me...a week doesn't go by where I don't get an email, a picture, a link or sometimes even a gift of Hello Kitty.  I have a purse from Scott...duct tape, scotch tape, stickers, paper, my bathroom cup, plastic cups, silverware...the boys always do my birthday with Hello Kitty decorations.  It is something I really truly love.  As goofy as it may sound....oh and my poor nieces have been swamped with Hello Kitty stuff, just because I LOVE it so much.  

Thought this would help you all to know me a little bit better and perhaps explain my Hello Kitty obsession...just what you wanted to know on this Friday night. 


 This week at Costco

 my friend Sarah gifted this cup to me...

 Tennis balls on sale at Target...

 Even the Easter Bunny knows my love...

 Alice's new crocs...






 When we win the lottery, that we don't play, I am going to fly to Japan and go on one of these flights, JUST because it's Hello Kitty.

Hello Kitty Hawaii...get it, she is tan.  I have another Build a Bear one, 
that's white the boys made me too.

 from my friend Jerilynn...Hello Kitty house in Japan

 sent on Pinterest from a friend

 Just because amidst Mom's illness this past summer

 Sent from a friend on Facebook

 My new shoes.

 Last week for Halloween from a friend

 texted from my friend Mariah in Hawaii.

texted from my friend Terra today


3 comments:

  1. You are adorable. I love this. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you when I see Hello Kitty, too.:) I am 42 as well and remember how she was everywhere when we were little. Didn't there use to be a Hello Kitty store?

    ReplyDelete