"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

God looks at the heart

I have to share this with you, and write it down for myself.  Today was the day, the day I cut Mom's hair off.  I had the honor of doing the deed on the porch of the cabin.  We waited for Dad to go to lunch, he wasn't interested in being home for the beauty shop game.  She and I laughed a lot, we made the best of it.  We discovered her hair is a beautiful silver, we discovered she has a lovely shaped head...and she has a lot of cowlicks in her hair too.  I wore my hot pink hair cutting apron I bought years ago to cut the boys hair, and a sporty newspaper cape for her.  

She looks beautiful...I love the comments we have received from those who have seen her photos...

"It's all about the smile, she has a beautiful smile."

"She looks as beautiful as ever"

"Still beautiful, smile radiating"


"She looks a little bit like Mother Teresa" (whom my Mother LOVES)

"It really makes her blue eyes pop, she has beautiful eyes"

Dad came home with a big bouquet of flowers and took one look at her and determined she was as beautiful as ever as well.  

One of my favorite things...we face timed our boys tonight.  And none of them seemed phased, they didn't really care.  Which isn't a big surprise to me.  Max responded with "your hair is flat" and that was about it....no big fanfare happening at the Shisler house for sure.  

My friend Sarah reminded me of the following bible story... about God choosing David over his brothers for King.

"God looks at the heart not at outward appearances.  Your boys look at the heart. Their grandma is still the same person."

I think this makes me more proud of them than almost anything...this is the stuff that matters.  The gift in this journey of cancer are these little things.  Learning what really matters.  Good lessons and reminders for all of us.  

I will head home tomorrow from the cabin...what a blessing it has been once again to be here with Mom and Dad.  

UPDATE:  It's months later, September 13th to be exact and I wanted to be sure to add the following photos from this special day.  A hard day, but a day I don't want to forget.  It was a connection with my Mom like none other.  









2 comments:

  1. But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7 ESV)

    Here is the verse that goes along.

    Beauty in the ashes as Sarah Hanson always says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Makila was actually the brilliant one who reminded you of David being chosen and God looking at the heart. ♥

    ReplyDelete