"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Costa Rica....Thursday "Splashing, Tears and Silly Bands"

Thursday.

Thursday was our last day with the kids. It was pool/beach day.  The kids were all bused from Limon to Puerto Viejo to meet us at a local hotel who agreed to host us for the day.  It was exciting.  The kids were so excited to get out of the PANI home.  They only do the pool trips when Visiting Orphans trips are in town. The last VO group was in August so they were so excited.

They came with big smiles on their faces, a few had swimming suits but most just swam in their clothing.  Our friends, the Duricks, brought along 200 pool squirt toys.  Oh my were they ever a hit.  Considering there were 32 kids that were able to come to the pool we had plenty to go around.  I loved throwing them into the pools and watching the kids grab them.  Interestingly originally they were almost fighting over them but then they realized that there were more than enough and just relaxed and had fun.

We spent the entire morning playing in the pool.  My buddy Maykol (Michael) completely connected with our friend Steve in only the way boys can and that was wrestling. They must have wrestled in the pool for 2 straight hours.  I found myself watching Maykol all day. Making sure he was ok. Watching his reactions to everything.  Drew reminded me at one point not to play favorites.  Boy that's hard.  I found myself with favorites in each age.  Little Valeria who is 4 melted my heart, she is spunky and sassy in a darling way...she reminds me so much of our 5 year old Niece Alice.  I love that age.  I love their independence.  Then there was Daniel 7. He was my right hand photographer friend.  Always wanting pictures taken. Always wanting my phone to take pictures.  Always ready for hugs and kisses .    Then there was Marlon, 11-12 years old. Just a quiet prescience but always beaming when noticed. And of course Maykol my 14 year old son.

What a joy to see these children today. To know their names. To know their loves and their friends.   To see into their hearts. How I will miss them. How I wish they could all be my Pen pals. They were kids today. Playing and giggling. Splashing, eating pizza and drinking Fresca (pop). We played a fun game Makila had found with Oreo's as well.  They laughed and laughed.  I think Oreo's are a universal love.

We spent part of the morning assembling gift bags. Oh that's my love language.  Love giving gifts. One of the people on our trip Amy, her mom crochet a washcloth for each child. There were no two alike.  And several of us had items we donated.  There were pool toys, books, glow sticks, balls, Lego kits, nail polish, make up, markers, washi tape and beanie babies. It was so much fun to label the bags and stuff them for each child.  It was even more fun to give them to the kids in the afternoon.  


After taking a group photo we had the kids line up on the wall and one by one we called them up by name and cheered for them.  One at a time, we hooted and hollered when their names were called.  Some were embarrassed but at the same time how often do you think they get called up INDIVIDUALLY and cheered for just being them.  They ate it up.  It was wonderful.  I don't know whose idea that was but it was brilliant.  

I LOVED how excited each of them were.  It blew me away.  It was like Christmas morning.  But Christmas morning with a bag filled with less than $10 per bag.  But that didn't matter.  It was the kinds of stuff that our kids get on a normal trip to Target, it choked me up.  It made me think.  How do we spend our money?  What really matters?  ugh my heart is being chipped away at. 

Then came the time of day we all dreaded...they had to leave and we had to say goodbye.  And if you know me at all you know I cry ALL the time so this would be ugly.  I didn't want to have the kids see me cry.  I walked out with a couple of them...and the rest were already on the busy.  I reached my hands into their windows for last kisses, high fives...smiles.  There were two buses, one with the younger kids and a smaller van with the teenage boys.  I could hardly look at them, at Maykol.  I struggled.  I reached my hand into Maykol and squeezed his.  He hardly looked up, but I could see tears in his eyes.  I could see disappointment..  While it was a blessed week, we are leaving.  It's back to normal for them.  After a week of fun, it's back to the routine.  He had opened himself up to love...he loved Steve today, he loved having someone wrestle with...it's touch.  He had opened up to me.  He knew I was a softie for him, that I would hand him pizza, give him a large pop...  Then I went to the next bus again to try to regain my composure and Maria Jesus (13-14)...motioned for me to come and hug her.  She then put her silly band pink bracelet onto my wrist and told me to keep it.  Ugh...my heart.  These kids have nothing of their own, and she gave me hers.  Not sure I will take it off, it will have to break first.

We came here to show love and to be love.  Go.Be.Love is the motto for Visiting Orphans.  It's why we were here.  And we did that.  We gave it our all.  We showed love to each and every child there.  May they never forget that and may they someday understand that it was not from our strength we could do that...it was through loving Jesus that we could represent Him, in a small way, to these children.  That the glory of the trip would go to Him...may we please and honor Him with our week.  













    




















1 comment: