"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Costa Rica...Friday/Saturday "Rafting and Headed Home"

Our last day in Costa Rica was designed for relaxation and enjoying of the country.  We had to be on the bus by 5:15 am to head to the White Water Rafting center, we had the choice of Zip lining, Nature Walk or White Water Rafting.  11 member of our team chose the rafting...8 of us on the lesser rapids, and the other 3 went on the wilder ride.

We had a great breakfast and from there we headed in a Van with our raft loaded on top, it was a short drive.  Part way there the guides stopped the van and hopped out, in the middle of the jungle...there were white faced monkeys in the wild, several of them jumping from tree to tree.  It was amazing.  The guides then drove us the rest of the way...they found a red frog that made the loudest noise for being the smallest frog.  Sadly, I didn't have my phone or my camera along.  I know, I know Dad...keep some things to memory, not EVERYTHING needs to be photographed.  You are right and I consciously tried to pay attention to the beauty we were surrounded by.

We lowered the raft off of the roof, well the guys all did including Drew....and some how I was volunteered into being in the front of the raft with our friend Steve as a leader in the raft, more like the person who would get drenched the fastest.  I was soaked.  And that water was COLD, but it was wonderful to be cold for a change.  The landscape was SO beautiful, trees, cliffs, mountains, rapids.  We stopped along the path and the guide took this photo...he found fresh pineapple for a snack...and we found a sloth in a tree and some very cool plants.

The trees were literally growing out of the water, their roots part way in the water.  Steve reminded us of the verse in Jeremiah.




After the trip...we made it!

After rafting we headed to San Jose....a long 5 hour bus ride later, due to traffic.  We stopped at a market quick for souvenirs and headed to our hotel.  Early morning flights....up at 3:30 am.  Leaving hotel at 4:15.  LONG layover in Atlanta and home by 8:45 pm

San Jose Airport

 Atlanta Airport, the Des Moines kids and our fearless leader Amy...parting ways. After several hours in Buffalo Wild Wings and a Buckeye WIN against Iowa we headed home.  My parents were at the airport to greet us, as were Max and Jack.  Scott and Tommy were still in Ohio from their Buckeye weekend.  SO happy to get my arms around my boys again.  And this is how we fell asleep.




The trip of a lifetime...so much going through my head and my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I have loved reading every word of your trip. Thank you so much for opening your heart. Re-entry to Gringo life is hard. I will pray for you and the lovely children you will forever keep in your heart. I know Drew will never forget this trip.

    ReplyDelete