"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Birthday to My First Love



Happy Birthday to my first Love, my first protector, my first biggest fan....the man who listened to my drama, my tears, my fears, my failures....the man who sat on the end of my bed and would never yell at me just tell me he was disappointed and he expected more.   He was the man who never complained to as he sat through concert after concert, recitals, 3rd grade softball games, 1st grade soccer games...tennis matches, basketball, girl birthday parties, girl giggling.

The man who sang his heart out with me the entire way to the cabin while my brother plugged his ears in the backseat.  The man who had real life heart to heart conversations on our long drives alone to South Dakota.  The man who warned me of boys, the man who taught me to respect myself and to expect only the HIGHEST respect in those I dated.  The man who once ran, and I mean RAN to the driveway when a boyfriend honked to pick me up for a date.  The man who wasn't afraid to shake every boys hand as hard as he could just so he could check their handshake out.  He believed you could tell a lot about a boy/man by his handshake.

 The man who always put our family first.  I knew that without a doubt we came first.  Never was there a meeting more important, a car, a thing, a person more important to him than us.  NEVER.  This is the tender hearted man who sang songs to me at bedtime, waited up for me after dates while he dunked oreo cookies in milk at the kitchen table.  He has never wavered, never changed, never not been there when I needed him.

He is the one who always told me I was beautiful and special and could do anything I wanted.  He told me I would be a great wife...a great Mom.   He was the one just 2 weeks ago who started his drive to Iowa at 4 am when I was sick after surgery and was to my Dr's appt wth me by 8 am. The same man who left the cabin early on Father's day so that if we needed him here he could be that much closer.

He is the one who really taught me what kind of man to look for to marry, that REAL men of integrity and honor existed and that I should only expect the best in who I married.  I am so grateful he taught me that and that I believed that and when I saw that in Scott I KNEW...I knew because my Dad had shown me.  We don't have any little girls in this house, but I often tell my friends that do...that their husbands are playing a MUCH bigger role in their little girls lives than they probably realize.  And I know that Dad's like mine are very rare....and I thank God DAILY that he gave me mine.

He taught me to pray daily and trust God with everything.  That without God we have nothing.

Of course now I am sobbing, and I know my Dad is too...see he is the one who passed along this Terwilliger emotional gene to me.  He was never afraid to have us see him cry....This is the song that he sang to me many times, and I sing to our boys.  It's an original he made up when my older sister was born.  What an empowering song to hear over and over and over/  

I know a girl with a cute little curl and a smile a mile wide.
She'a the girl we adore, the one we waited for and with this time we realize.

She doesn't know we feel this way about her
She is the greatest thing that ever happened to us.

But until the time that she grows up
She'll be just our little girl, Cause she's our Susan and we realize we love her very much.

And when it comes time for her to marry.  She will settle down and raise a family.
But until the time that she grows up, 
She'll be just our little girl. She's our Susan and we realize
we love her very much.
A cute little girl named Susan Mary
the girl we love so much.

I am so blessed to call this man my Dad....MY Dad.  A very happy birthday to him....my heart is with him today.  Love you so very much Dad....and I NEVER doubt that you love me.  I will always be your little girl....

XOXO
Susan Mary

2 comments:

  1. going to make rob and lauren read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Told you on the phone, but I want it in writing. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete