"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Friday, April 8, 2016

Stopped me in my tracks...6512

This morning I went onto Facebook to post a recent senior soccer session I took last weekend.  The very FIRST thing at the top of my page was THIS photo.



For those of you who do not know, this is THE house I grew up in  This is 6512 Navaho Trail Edina, MN 55435.  The house I never wanted to leave as a child, the house I ran home from school to, the house I learned to love pictures and scrapbooks and decorating in....where my first real kiss took place,  the place that was the safest place in the world for me.  This is the house Scott told me he loved me for the first time in, the house I cried (sobbed) leaving for college, sobbed leaving the day after I married Scott...this is where we told my family about pregnancies..we laughed, we cried.  Oh this house is SO very special to me.

When my parents sold it 13 years ago I was very upset...how could they ever leave this house?  So what if it's a lot of maintenance, so what it's way bigger than they needed, so it needs a ton of upkeep, the landscaping is a ton of work, so what if you have this AND a cabin to maintain...oh and taxes for a big house in edina...no big deal. You can pay those forever...sigh.  I DO understand now that it was time for them to start a new chapter.  Don't get me wrong Mom, I still haven't forgiven you, but I do understand more now.  There will always be some pain in my heart to not be able to truly go "home"...

But....it was purchased by family friends.  They have loved it well, they have raised their children well there.  Their son, who has special needs, STILL calls it Mary Lou's house and I am fine with that.  Maybe he can start calling it Mary Lou AND Susan's house?

But to see it pop up this morning on my screen took my breath away...it made me cry tears.  I know my Donny and Marie battery operated microphone is STILL in those front bushes somewhere my brother threw it.  I KNOW there is still a pretend "house" behind it below the big pine tree on the top of the hill with my imaginary family all grown up...I know there is probably still a tree at the top that overlooks the pond in the shape of a horse to ride on when you need to get away.

It reminds me that THIS house we live in now is going to mean the same thing to our boys some day...


No comments:

Post a Comment