"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Lady in the Pink "Slacks"

I just got home from Hyvee, crying in the produce aisle of Hyvee to be completely honest.  I was running into grab a few things and I saw this sweet lady walking ahead of me.  Pink "slacks" (as my Grandma would call them), blue gingham button down shirt, matching stone necklace, perfect hair, and a coordinated purse.  She had to be around 89-90.  She reminded me SO much of my Grandma Lu.  And it's amazing how somethings little like that can bring back a flood of memories.

Grandma ALWAYS was dressed from head to toe, no matter where she went.  Hair perfect, clothes perfect and always accessories that went with it.  In fact as she got older I started to buy her fun things like shoes, purses...because I learned just how much she loved to coordinate.

I stopped at the flower shop and grabbed a bouquet of fresh flowers, asked them to wrap them with a ribbon.  I told the flower shop my mission, they know me well at that shop...they smiled.   I found that sweet little 90 something year old Grandma in the produce section.  I told her, with tears streaming down my face, that she reminded me of my Grandma.  That my Grandma was in heaven and that I missed her.  I told her I wanted her to have these flowers since I can't give them to my own Grandma.  She smiled, gave me a hug and told me that I just made her day.    The truth is she made mine, she reminded me of my Grandma.  She reminded me that memories are strong and no one can take those away.

I am SO grateful to have known both of my Grandmas so well...and to have been loved SO much by them.  Their fingerprints are all over my heart.




1 comment:

  1. Ok...now I am crying. LOVE that you gave her flowers. And your last line...their fingerprints are all over your heart....love it...and so true for mine as well.

    ReplyDelete