"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Graduation

Graduation has come and gone.  May was a non-stop whirlwind month.  I lost track of the amount of open houses we attended, the grad cards I mailed off and the amount of pulled pork we ate.  We went to program, after program...it seemed daily the boys were having a "party" at school that required some sort of food or item to be brought with them...it got so bad that one day either Drew or Jack caught me off guard saying "Today is my passing period party Mom and we need to bring..."

I will start off my catching up with Tommy's graduation weekend.

We were blessed to have ALL 4 of the boys' grandparents here for the weekend.  That was a feat of sorts, between Mom having radiation that week and excruciating headaches to Scott's parents getting on 2 planes to get here while Don was feeling particularly week...his sister Kathy along to help them. But they ALL made it...and that was a HUGE blessing.

Tommy also had districts in golf, or maybe it was sectionals...I am not sure but I do know that it mattered how they did and they made it to state by 1 stroke.  So that was a BIG celebration on Friday night!

Saturday was the day...the grad day.  Loads of open houses to attend, think I only got to one...and then family came to town.  My Aunt Sandy and Uncle Dean came with Annette, Mike, Cara and kids got to grad just as it was starting....they made it.

We set up the tent thanks to Uncle Dean's Eagle Scout skills earlier in the day, arranged flowers for the grad party that was happening on Sunday...ran many an errand and headed out the door in time to get seats for the big ceremony at school.

I was shocked that I wasn't more emotional that evening.  It had been a crazy week, with 3 days at Mayo, finding out Mom's cancer was indeed back the week before...and learning she needed radiation and then starting it within 24 hours of that news...it was a LOT so in hindsight perhaps I was just thrilled to have something to celebrate!    I did get a tiny bit choked up watching him walk in to the processional music...but nothing that even brought a tear.  So that surprised me...

It was a nice ceremony...the mic wasn't working real well so it was hard to hear the speakers.  It was short and sweet.  SO grateful for Des Moines Christian and the people that have been a part of Tommy's years there. He has had amazing teachers who truly have loved and cared for him.  He has made wonderful friends and been a part of so many amazing families through them.  I don't think the full impact of DMC will hit him until he is away.  He will look back and be so full of gratitude for what the school and the people in his life have given to him.

















Open house blog post coming up next....

No comments:

Post a Comment