"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. " Psalm 118:24

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

With a Grateful Heart

It is with a very grateful heart that I post about the last few days and what we have gone through.

Saturday night I got a call at 11:30 from my Mom, I knew something had to be wrong.  She never calls me after 10:20 pm  EVER.  She is in bed.  Ends up Dad was in the ER with what they told him was a mild heart attack.  I could barely breathe or talk, I passed the phone to Scott.

After some more tests and getting him settled into a room my brother was there to spend the night, and Mom headed home.  Scott and Dad wanted me to wait to go until morning and not drive in the night.  Mike promised to text me in the night with any changes, so I tried to rest.  I talked to my Dad before I went to sleep...he was alert and sounded tired, but okay.  Scott assured me it would be okay, he was in the hospital which was the best place he could be at this moment.

Headed to mpls on Sunday...it was determined that he needed an angiogram, which they don't do on Sundays unless it's a major emergency.  Talked with Dr's and took turns sitting with Dad.  All 3 of us kids were there by now, along with my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Dean.

To make a long story short Dad needed a stent put in his right coronary artery...it had become 95% blocked due to the heart attack.  They were able to place it on Monday afternoon! We are so grateful for the Doctors who are so brilliant to know how to do these things.  For the brilliant people who designed stents!  MOST OF ALL so very grateful for the big GOD we serve who through ALL of these people and things healed my Dad!

With no family history of heart disease, a Dad who has worked out 5 days a week for almost all of my life, who has low cholesterol, normal blood pressure...this was all a shock to us.  But wow are we forever grateful.

To say it has been a stressful few days may be an understatement...I am always so thankful for my parents but this is YET another reminder to be grateful every single day.  And to never let a day go by and not share your love with each other.  I posted a letter from my Dad to me last week, I am blessed.  So very blessed to have parents who love me like they do, and who share that with me.

My heart is ever so grateful for the gift of my Dad....and just when I think I couldn't love him any more...I do.  I have been blessed with the best.


Our elevator trip down for the angiogram, all smiles.  This was the 2nd trip down, the first was more teary.  But then when we got to the doors, they had an emergency case come in so we had to go back upstairs and this was 4 hours later.  By then we were trying to keep it together better. And Dad had an entourage of 7 of us along plus the transporters. 


before the stent....his artery

...and after....


some much needed rest for the two of them, zoomed in you can see Dad is touching Mom's foot.  This is a picture of love to me....52 years of marriage...and a lot of ups and downs.  But love and their faith holds them together every single time.  


And wow...just like that he is feeling better, smiling and eating a heart healthy dinner. 



2 comments: